AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Onkyo S5400 system hooked up to my computer. The way I have it hooked up is Computer (HDMI) > Receiver's HDMI In > Receiver's HDMI Out > computer monitor.

It shows up on the receiver saying HDMI and PCM, and I have it set to multichannel. I configured the speakers as 7.1 in windows and tested each speaker using the windows audio test, and it plays each separately, but I'm not sure if it works in games/other audio because it seems like it just plays stereo through all the speakers.

When I have my Xbox 360 hooked up through hdmi it doesn't say PCM, it shows the dolby symbol and I can choose Dolby Digital if i want to on the receiver, why is it not like this on my computer?

Under the Realtek HDMI Output in device manager it says it supports

DTS Audio

Dolby Digital Plus

DTS-HD

Dolby TrueHD

Dolby Digital

Now how do I know if they are working or not if it just says PCM on the receiver? Do I need a special audio/video format to test if it is playing in 7.1, or can I just use any format?

I have heard that in order to play games in 5.1/7.1 you need Dolby Digital Live, My motherboard's sound card supports that through optical output, but right now I have it hooked up to hdmi through my graphics card, so would that mean I would need it hooked up with a digital optical cable instead of hdmi?

Sorry for so many questions I am just a noob and not sure if this is working correctly because it is my first 5.1/7.1 setup.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
I know very little about sound card and computer outputs. But, if your AVR shows a PCM input, that means your sound card is sending PCM. Your AVR display should also show you how many channels are being sent - stereo or 5.1 or 7.1.

If you want the card to send a multichannel codec such as DD 5.1, the source has to be encoded that way or the card has to encode it itself. You'll need to consult the documentation that came with the card. I'd give the optical path a try if that's what the manual says and see if it makes a difference.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts