Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking into receivers for my new HT and am not sure exactly what to look for. My budget for the receiver is $500 - $600. It will be used for 98% HT. I'm planning to purchase the following JBL speakers:

S310II for mains and surround

S-CenterII for front and possibly rear center

S120PII for sub

I have done some research on receivers am looking at the following:

Yamaha RX-V1300

Sony STR-DA4ES

Denon AVR-2803

Harmon Kardon AVR-325

I have a very basic understanding of the specs and features but a lot of it confuses me (i.e. watts per channel 50 on some 110 on others, dsp processor, discrete/matrix 6.1, etc.). Which specs or features do you think are most important when selecting a receiver out of this group. Thanks for your help.

Steve

·
Registered
251 Posts
Honestly, the receivers you listed are all quite comparable. They use the same licensed software to implement the DSP, and so there really is not much difference there. The DACs, preamps, and power amps are probably all good enough that you won't notice them with those speakers.

Really about the only differentiation between them is how user friendly they are to you, whether you think they look nice, and what they cost. So it is a pretty simple decision.

Tim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim,

Thanks for the response. The way you put it does sound like an easy decision. I know the speakers I have chosen are not the greatest but that is what my budget allows at this time. I do have one additional question. Looking at the back of the Denon I don't see a speaker connection for a surround center. How do you hook up a rear center for 6.1 sound?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
707 Posts
The main features I would look for would be a crossover point that is suitable for your speakers. For maximum flexibility, I would like a receiver to offer 80 Hz, 100 Hz, 125 hz, and 150 Hz.

I would also consider full pre-amp outputs to be a mandatory feature at the $500 price point and would no buy a receiver without them. This gives you the option of using a separate power amp.

Other than that, there probably isn't much difference in it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hwc-

Thanks for your advise. I'm a little confused about the crossover point. I have printed out the specs for the receivers and cannot find anything about crossover point. Am I just missing it or is it listed as something other than crossover point? Also, the specs for the JBL S310II mention crossover frequencies as 850hz,3500hz. Is this what you are referring to? Sorry if the questions are elementary.

Also, it's obvious I'm a newbie at this. Can anyone point me to a source I can use to learn more about receivers/general audio and what all the terms, specs, and features mean? Maybe a web site, book, or magazine?

Thanks very much for your help.

Steve

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Steve, the speaker crossover settings are to separate frequencies inside the speaker. The crossover to the sub filters out higher frequencies and sends them to the main (LR), center (C) and rear speakers (RR), and the lower frequencies to the sub. A crossover setting of 80 Hz is the THX standard, and means frequencies above that go to the LR/C/RR speakers and frequencies below that go to the sub. I use that setting and it works very well for me. Some like to experiment with other settings but the following link will explain why I stick with 80 Hz;

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-9-2002.html

Here is another good link with tons of good information and advice:

http://ecoustics.com/

HT is not nearly as complicated as it sounds once you learn the basics. But I do have one suggestion. Buy a Radio Shack analog sound pressure (SPL) meter to set your speaker levels with better accuracy than just your ears - it makes a big difference.

As to the receiver choices, I have a preference for H/K because it has better amps than the others.

Dsmith

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I think the light bulb has gone on with the crossover issue. It did bring up a couple other thoughts regarding the S310ii speakers. The reason I was thinking of these floorstanding speakers was I thought they would give me better bass vs bookshelves. If the frequency 80hz and below goes to my sub, and the JBL S38ii bookshelf speakers have the same high and mid range drivers as the S310ii's, would it make more sense to get the bookshelves? Also, I was looking at the Dolby website on speaker placement and it recommends mains and center at ear level and surrounds above ear level. If people are using floorstanding speakers all around do you put them on stands? Sorry if this post should be in the speaker section.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.