AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first post, not sure if this is the right forum so please move if necessary.

currently have an old Sony Wega and decided to move up to HD on a budget. My 2 choices right now are:

Samsung HL-S4266W - 42" 720p DLP - $859 from amazon (+120 for 4yr wty)

Westinghouse LVM-37w3 - 37" 1080p LCD monitor - $799 from costco

cannot decide between these 2. i realize that the Sammy is a 2-3 yr old model, and i can live with that. i tried reading thru the westinghouse thread, but its 259 pages, way too much to sift thru. i managed to catch some discussion about ghosting and color bleeding, and most of the discussion is regarding xbox2 and PS2/3, none of which i have or plan to get. which do you guys recommend for daily viewing.

- 80% TV, 20% DVD viewing.

- rarely watch antenna channels (2-13), but im not sure if channels 14-99 are digital or analog. what can/should i expect in terms of PQ.

- Will purchase an upconvert DVD player to go with the TV.

- plan on getting a HTIB

- Cable is iO Digital in Brooklyn, NY. not sure what the STB is, but i think its Scientific Atlanta

- Viewing distance is about 6-7 Feet

thanks to all the advice in advance.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm not an expert at all and I normally never give advice to people on this forum.. but I don't think any of those will be good picks if you're 80% TV viewing. =\\

Most people buy HDTVs nowadays for gaming consoles or HDTV/HD-DVD viewing. Period.

If you're still watching SDTV or regular DVDs, you're better off with a CRT.

With the Westinghouse, you won't ever be able to watch your antenna channels, because it's JUST a monitor. No sort of tuner whatsoever in it. Luckily you have the STB, but I sure hope you have a lot of HD channels with your cable service.

I s'pose your upconverting DVD player will help you watch DVDs okay with the unit, but still... I've always thought an HDTV was a bad purchase if you're not watching HD content most of the time. (I don't really count upconverted DVDs as HD content..)

I have a Samsung DLP, although it's only the HLT4675S.. SD viewing is pretty mediocre on it and not really nearly as good as my older Sony CRT and Panasonic CRTs..

XBox360, Comcast HD, and my PC through HDMI are amazing on it, though. :x

At only 6-7 feet away from your TV, though, you'll probably be seeing some pixels on SD content..

·
Registered
500 Posts
in that size range i would only be looking at flat panel tvs, imo there better than projections in this size so i would go with the westinghouse, the dlp has too many moving parts and you will need to change the bulb sooner or later just my opinion

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 /forum/post/0

I'm not an expert at all and I normally never give advice to people on this forum.. but I don't think any of those will be good picks if you're 80% TV viewing. =\\

Most people buy HDTVs nowadays for gaming consoles or HDTV/HD-DVD viewing. Period.

the 80% TV viewing includes HDTV viewing.... my cable provider has a good selection of HD content - HBO, CBS, FOX, Discovery HD Theater, etc..... so that will not be a problem.

as for HDDVD/BR - id rather not buy into any one format at this point so i will be quite happy with an upconvert player.

looks like i still have to make this decision..... the price difference is minimal, $200, so its all about features. objectively speaking, which would be a better choice? (bulb replacement on DLP is not an issue in the near future, as i will be getting a 4yr extended on top of the manufacturer wty)

·
Registered
16,166 Posts
The Samsung is only 1 year old, not 2-3. They just came out with the HLT models within the last 2 months.

·
Registered
16,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKinNYC /forum/post/0

arent the HLS - XX66 models from 2-3 years ago? i know last years were XX86/87, no?

2 years ago they were HLR models, 3 years ago HLP, and mine is 4 years old (HLN).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

2 years ago they were HLR models, 3 years ago HLP, and mine is 4 years old (HLN).

so then HLT is this years?

i am deciding between 3 TV's

Sammy HL-S4266W

Sammy HL-T4675S

Westinghouse W4207 (LCD)

I would go with the 42" DLP, its $850 on amazon, and only $120 for a 4yr wty. my only concern is the quality of the extended warranty. one of the reviewers mentioned that they refused to replace his bulb the first time it burned out outside of the manufacturers warranty.

the 42" West LCD is nice too, and obviosuly so is the 46" sammy, but the 46" is the most expensive. BB sells it for 1199, and i found a local store that sells it for $970, so i can try to match. however, after the 4yr extended and tax, im back up to 1300-1400, which is more than i ideally want to spend.

is the low price of the 42" sammy enough to justify the possibility that the warranty is shady?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I hate to throw another option at you, but if you want bigger than the 37" but don't like seeing DLP rainbows, you could go for the Sony E2000 series which is 3LCD rear projection. This is last year's model (not much has changed for this year) so you can find a 42" for about $1000.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis /forum/post/0

I hate to throw another option at you, but if you want bigger than the 37" but don't like seeing DLP rainbows, you could go for the Sony E2000 series which is 3LCD rear projection. This is last year's model (not much has changed for this year) so you can find a 42" for about $1000.

other than the rainbow effect, how does this compare to the DLP's?

i guess at this point i can pretty much eliminate the Westinghouse as my choice, no feedback on it. as for purchasing, i will wait until july 4th sales start popping up, as the apartment wont be ready until then anyway

·
Registered
500 Posts

Quote:

other than the rainbow effect, how does this compare to the DLP's?

i guess at this point i can pretty much eliminate the Westinghouse as my choice, no feedback on it. as for purchasing, i will wait until july 4th sales start popping up, as the apartment wont be ready until then anyway

why would you eliminate the westinghouse , its not a bad tv, its just not as many people has had experience with it, its good to get opinions and feedback but the bottom line should be what looks best to you, no matter what anybody says

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i looked at the sony E2000, and i definitely like. reading good things about it, and the price is right up my alley ($1080 at circuit city). how does it look for SD (antenna) channels?

i have to ask a very noobish question.... whats the difference between DLP, Projection LCD, and Flat panel LCD..... in non-technical terms. i found some comparisons, but they dont really tell me anything.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Given the current price of Plasma and LCD, it would be hard not to consider those as well in that size category, I have seen 42" LCD's and Plasmas at Sams Club for around $800 to $1000, way better choices for TV viewing imo. The Vizio brand that Sam's Club sells have phenomenal pictures, every bit as good as the big names.

Just another idea to make your decision even harder! LOL

-Mitch

·
Registered
500 Posts

Quote:

nope. everywhere i check, its DLP vs LCD. nothing about LCD vs RP LCD

LCD RP work the same as DLP but the lcd rp have three lcd chips one for each color so you don't need a color wheel so no rainbow effect, but as stated by others i would really be looking at either fp lcd or plasma at this size, imo rp tv's have there place but for larger screen sizes

·
Registered
500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaktive /forum/post/0

I'd go with the new Sammys LEDs.. NO moving parts and no bulb changes

it depends on how much you use your tv, the LED's are rated at around 20,000 hrs some LED's cant be replaced like lamp based tv's, some need a light engine replacement to replace the LED's and that can get costly,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.