AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I recently bought the "Onkyo TX-NR 626 receiver" got it for a nice deal $299/- I was initially thinking of buying Bose speakers, but want some suggestions. I was looking at Klipsh, Jamo, Infinity, Energy, B & W and finally confused now...:)

My preferences:

1) I'm planning to use this in my basement, size around 17 ft x 15 ft
2) Mostly to watch Movies + Music concerts +TV ( mostly rock concerts, pop, Jazz rock)
3) I like more of the bass and also like to have crystal clear treble sounds
4) I can spend a max of $1200/-, may be can push some more if required
5) It doesnt have to be package in a box, I dont mind the floor speakers if needed.

Thank you

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
A quick rule of thumb:

Never buy any Bose speakers, especially from an electronics store.

If your budget is that tight, don't even consider B&W speakers. Even though they are great speakers, their prices are overinflated and there is no value in them. For much less money you can buy comparable or even better speakers.

I would recommend NHT Classic Twos. On sale right now directly from NHT
http://www.nhthifi.com/Two-Black_X

NHT Absolute Tower:
http://www.nhthifi.com/Absolute-Tower-Speaker_X

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you zieglj01 for your recommendations, I hadnt heard about HDT until now but when I looked up the specs looks good. What about warranty and service for these products.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you SabreWuLF_. Your recommendations are NHT two book selves + two NHT tower = $1380 approx without a sub woofer. Are you suggesting using the book selves as surrounds? I definitely need a sub-woofer isnt it?

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Thank you zieglj01 for your recommendations, I hadnt heard about HDT until now but when I looked up the specs looks good. What about warranty and service for these products.
Like most people, they have a 5 year warranty

HTD has top rated customer service - and I also know that from experience.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thank you SabreWuLF_. Your recommendations are NHT two book selves + two NHT tower = $1380 approx without a sub woofer. Are you suggesting using the book selves as surrounds? I definitely need a sub-woofer isnt it?
I wasn't sure which direction you wanted to build your system into. Are you looking for a 2.0, 2.1, or 5.1 setup?

I suggested the NHT as a 2.0 or 2.1 setup and would choose the NHT Absolute Towers over the Classic Two if you don't want to buy a subwoofer. If you buy both Classic Two + Absolute Towers + Subwoofer it is well above your budget...and you still would need a center channel, so I don't recommend that route.

If you want a quality 5.1 you could do something like this:
Pair of Classic Twos [for fronts]
Classic TwoC

Pair of Absolute Zeros [for surrounds, surrounds are not too important]
Subwoofer (I recommend HSU Research, SVS, or Velodyne)

The speakers themselves will be ~$1200 (black gloss). Of course you will need to buy speaker stands for the Classic Twos. Also NHT offer 30 day trial period with free return shipping. If you're unsure about NHT I would recommend buy a pair of Classic Twos first and try them at home.​

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all, I havent decided yet. Here's another one - Should I keep the Onkyo Receiver TX-NR 626, I read a lot about HDMI issues - has is been fixed?

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Thank you all, I havent decided yet. Here's another one - Should I keep the Onkyo Receiver TX-NR 626, I read a lot about HDMI issues - has is been fixed?
No guarantee that the issue has been fixed - if you do not feel comfortable, then return it.

Also never 100% guarantee with any brand receiver, to be issue free.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I think EMPtek is one of the best values out their right now, but they really blew through their inventory with their black Friday sale, so they are out of a lot of critical speakers...
I have always like Ascend Acoustics. I have spent a lot of time listening to my buddies CMT340s. Very clear, detailed and accurate. Not the best looking speaker, but a GREAT sounding speakers. The cbm-170 is single midrange driver version of the CMT340, so a cheaper option.
Agree on the SVS Pb1000 for a room your size (mid sized room)

Reactions: dsrussell

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think EMPtek is one of the best values out their right now, but they really blew through their inventory with their black Friday sale, so they are out of a lot of critical speakers...
I have always like Ascend Acoustics. I have spent a lot of time listening to my buddies CMT340s. Very clear, detailed and accurate. Not the best looking speaker, but a GREAT sounding speakers. The cbm-170 is single midrange driver version of the CMT340, so a cheaper option.
Agree on the SVS Pb1000 for a room your size (mid sized room)
Thank you for the suggestions, but I still havent purchased speakers.

I went to Bestbuy to checkout some of the floor speakers and in fact liked the sound of B &W's and Definitive Techs

How about these configurations

1) Definitive Tech speakers
BP-8020 ST - 2
CS-8040 HD - 1
SR-8040BP or ProMon 800 - 2

or

2) Bose
Acoustimass 6 + 301 (2)

or

3) Klipsch
RB-51 II Bookshelf Speakers - 2
RC-52 II Center Channel Speaker - 1
RS-42 II Surround Speakers - 2
BIC Acoustech PL-200 Subwoofer - 1

Thx

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
It is good to listen to speakers, even in an poor listening environment like Best Buy.
Bose Acoustimas- no tweeters, so no good highs...no subwoofer, so not good lows!
Klipsch makes some very good speakers, but I don't care for anything they have at Best buy- cheaper stuff that just doesn't sound good or pleasant to me. My opinion only!
Def Tech, I like the SQ of their speakers, but at list price, or best buy prices, they are overpriced, IMHO!

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
At the moment, Amazon has a sale on the Infinity Primus p363 speakers. In your budget I would jump on those without hesitation. Hsu currently has a good discount on the VTF2 mk4, I would get that also. So a killer 5.1 system would be:

Infinity Primus p363 x2 ($200)
Infinity Primus c351 ($200)
Infinity Primus p163 x2 ($120)
Hsu VTF2 mk4 subwoofer ($570)

There is a killer 5.1 system for a hair less than $1100 shipped. Keep in mind you also have to buy speaker wire and mounts. For speaker wire, just get a roll of 14 AWG from Home Depot, do not buy speaker wire at electronics stores, they have a huge markup. For speaker mounts, use the Videosecu Side-clamping mounts, be far the best affordable mounts.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
How about these configurations

1) Definitive Tech speakers

or

2) Bose

or

3) Klipsch

BIC Acoustech PL-200 Subwoofer

Thx
From your list Definitive - however, I do not prefer their bi-polar speakers
I would prefer their Studio 55 or 65 bookshelf speakers.

As far as Bose - No thank you

I would stretch for an SVS or HSU sub over the Bic

Your call - it is all about you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
zieglj01

I'm planning on buying HTD Level Two Towers, Center and Surrounds but not sure if the HSU VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer will work well with this config.

I also want to mention that I have a 73 " Mitsubhishi DLP TV. I can place the towers next to the TV I have some space to spread it out, but should I be looking for magnetic shielded speakers only?

Thank you all again for your inputs.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
zieglj01

I'm planning on buying HTD Level Two Towers, Center and Surrounds but not sure if the HSU VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer will work well with this config.

I also want to mention that I have a 73 " Mitsubhishi DLP TV. I can place the towers next to the TV I have some space to spread it out, but should I be looking for magnetic shielded speakers only?
The HSU sub is a good option

The DLP TV will be fine - problems would only be with them old CRT TVs.
I would still try to spread the speakers some - for better overall sound.

However, regardless of the TVs - the HTD does have sheilded magnets.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts