AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a pretty well known maker of audio accessories web site when i read the following

"It appears that the electrostatic fields surrounding statically charged surfaces of CDs, CD players, preamps, amps and cables significantly degrade the sound. This must be true because eliminating the static surface charges with an antistatic spray dramatically improves the sound. The effect lasts a couple of days at most, and then must be renewed by respraying. In the case of CDs, what happens perhaps can be understood as the combined effect of the rotating electrostatic field coupled to the disc. As it rotates, the CD must be slightly vibrated by the repulsive and attractive electrostatic forces induced in reaction to adjacent charged surfaces. Also, the rotating electrostatic field would have some effect on signals being conducted through adjacent circuit board traces, wires, etc. The same mechanism also could explain the lesser improvement resulting from demagnetizing the disc. What is harder to understand is why destaticizing cables, CD players, etc. significantly improves the sound, though we can speculate that it is probably a noise reduction effect. "

First let me say I would rather you not post on how _ _ _ _ _ (insert your favorite word) is. Rather Im looking for suggestions in other areas that would make far more difference.

Lets just say the tolerance levels for people that would do this are at that level. Wether it makes a difference to you and me is not the issue. Recomend areas where the tolerance level is not this high.

For example, air plays a big role in the way sound travels to your body. Would they not get a far better result by having a hermetically sealed room with perfect temperature controls? I mean temperature effects air pressure or density right? And the properties of the air surely would effect the sound.

Also why are they not using specially designed furniture. I see talk of all different types of dampening materials and such but they stick whatever couch (or theater seats for a home theater) in the room.

What about audiophile carpet padding. The floor is a pretty large area. The kind of carpet and how the padding is designed should make a big difference on what sounds are "modified" by it

Im also thinking about sensory deprevation. The more of your senses that are stimulated at once the harder it is for you to focus on one. What about using some kind of blindfolds and a very small particle room filter? Even if you dont realize it everything has a smell. If not blindfolds how about running balanced power that is at 100hz to an array of lighbulbs in order to get balanced light?

Please follow along with the above examples. Id like to see some of your ideas. We could get far stricter tolerances than the aerospace industry uses.

·
Registered
904 Posts
kudos! die, quackery, die!

seriously, I totally understand where you're coming from. I've heard that room acoustics can account for much of the sound quality of any setup. Although I don't have the room (or resources) to really experiment in this area, I completely understand the logic. I can't believe that people will expend serious time and money into power cables without much concern for the environment.

it seems to me that people are much more impressed by the "sexy" side of HT (flashy equipment) than they are by the truly accurate reproduction of a film and its associated components.

jake

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another suggestion.

The user of these systems are trying to get the best sound possible. Would it not provide better results if they tuned every speaker to one exact listening location? I mean they should measure the location of the listeners head and focus all the sound to provide the best at this point.

With this in mind there should be speaker stands with "legs" that are pretty much infinitly adjustable. Imagine these stands have spikes that can be raised and lower indepentantly using screws. The speaker could be tilted in pretty much any direction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.