AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean some of the best upscalers cost upwards to 1000 bucks plus why not make the step. I prefer HD DVD and the HD-A1 I have is equal to the best upscalers out. So what holding you back?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddsilk69 /forum/post/0

I mean some of the best upscalers cost upwards to 1000 bucks plus why not make the step. I prefer HD DVD and the HD-A1 I have is equal to the best upscalers out. So what holding you back?

Hd DVD or Blue Ray. Waiting till they figure it all out.

Not alot of choice in HD DVD/B Ray players yet, still a little bit pricey.

A decent amount of mid-range receivers compatibility with dolby true hd and DTS master audio -- still a work in progress. Yes, I know the players do the decoding. New receivers just coming out this year. HDMI 1.3 as well.

For all those reasons and more.

Another couple years maybe -- then I'll jump into HD DVD. Let some things pan out first.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I have moved to HD, however I can see several reasons to stay with SD.

1. There's a format war going on. Why spend $ on a brick of a player and media if you choose the wrong side.

2. Cost; example - The Breakfast Club HD-DVD $34.99 DVD $4.99

3. Already own a huge library of DVD's.

4. Display size - there isn't much difference between SD-DVD's and HD on televisions below 40".

5. Display type - the majority of americans still do not have an HD capable display.

6. Most people aren't able to really tell a difference anyway.

So why spend all that money on HD? That's the question, and nobody really is at this point. Not until players drop to below $200 and the media is priced close to SD-DVD prices, or they stop making SD-DVD's.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Good list. Here are a few more reasons:

1. HD-DVD players still somewhat buggy, Blu-Ray still ridiculously high.

2. No multi-disk players at all...Sony has a 400 disk DVD player under $300.

3. Not only is the content limited, but how many are actually GOOD quality representations of the format? I've yet to see one regular HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disk that wows me (only the demo disks have done that).

4. Most of us with a DVD library own half the available HD-DVD or Blu-Ray movies already in SD. For new movies, $25 maybe, but for one I already own, $25 NO WAY.

5. Sony is the spawn of the devil, so that leaves HD-DVD...which still can't seem to make headway on getting studio support.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Because they haven't released many movies for Hi-Def yet. I have plenty of movies that never even made it to DVD let alone Hi-def, why limit my content? How do I watch the boxed set of the Godfather, or or the Apocalypse Now's Heart of Darkness documentary. Say I want to watch the opening sequence of Top Gun(carrier ops) as it pretty much summed up the legacy of the now retired F-14. What do I do if I want to watch any of the Ford-as-Ryan-Cancy stuff (Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger)?

I've tried hi-def, both DVD formats, side by side for 30 days, when they release enough software I want, then I'll hop onboard. No reason to invest in something now, that will be a lot cheaper by the time they have something I want to see on it.

·
Registered
607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddsilk69 /forum/post/0

Because I prefer what I have to what I can't figure out.

When the war is over I will upgrade. Until then there are still many years left in my dvd's.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm probably gonna kick myself later, but I have both HD formats. And I've been careful not to buy HD titles w/o reading on Secrets of Home Theater about the quality of the transfer. Secrets criticizes a lot of them. Even then, only purchasing the "reference quality" video transfers, although the improvement is always noticeable, it is not always dramatic. The biggest difference was in The Hulk.

My SXRD is ISF calibrated, so I'm making the best of what I've got. And my Sony Blu-Ray is supposedly one of the better ones. It's not like I'm comparing an early Samsung Blu-Ray to my upscaled SD. Maybe if I get a better Hd-DVD player, one with HDMI like a 2nd gen Toshiba, I'll be more impressed. I'm still using an XBox 360.

I just watched Superman Returns on HD-Dvd and while I don't have an SD disc to compare to, I just wasn't that impressed.

I'll expect impressive things from George Lucas, and if those HD releases blow me out the water and show me great potential, I'll really start buying HD discs. Especially if they're not remasters. For now, most of my purchases are still SD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My biggest concern, beside the fact that there a very few titles availably, and it will probaly take a long time before we see a huge increase in World Cinema and smaller labels, is the lack of multiregion and PAL/NTSC support for the DVD part.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Because I enjoy the convenience of playing all disc types in one box, including multi-channel DVD-Audio and SACD. And, the quality of upscaled SD disks on my Onkyo DV-SP1000 is still fantastic to my eyes!

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Well the X2 said to be among the best upscaling SD DVD players on the market, the fact it plays HD-DVD can be also looked as a boon. I'm thinking to get one but as others worry about how the format war will conclude.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Because we have almost 500 SD-DVDs, many of which were purchased to replace movies on VHS. Not about to jump on the HD bandwagon until:

1. Format is unified or studios start releasing films in both formats

2. Disk prices approach current new release SD-DVD prices.

3. HD player prices drop to about a third of current level.

4. HD players (excluding X2) can do a good job of deinterlacing and scaling SD

-Steve

·
Registered
278 Posts
1. Lack of titles I'm interested in

2. Format war

3. Lack of titles I'm interested in

4. Format war

5. Still have LDs that I haven't replaced

6. Lack of titles I'm interested in

7. Format war

8. I can get my HD groove on with a DTV STB

9. Lack of titles I'm interested in

10. Format war

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.