AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently running a pair of 18" subs. I use my Velodyne SMS-1 to set the HPF, but this makes it impossible for me to run them independently (levels and delays) thru Audyssey.

I ordered a pair of Monoprice RCA to XLR cables (on sale) to connect the subs independently and straight from the AVR to the iNuke. Will I get some benefit from doing so and is it that bad if I do not use an HPF?

For the record I am not a bass head and the subs are ran pretty cool.

Happy Holidays to all!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's bad to not use a highpass filter with ported subs. You can likely set one on the inukes if you got the dsp models, though I don't know you're tuning frequency. Worst case you need to pick up a minidsp.
Tunning is about 18Hz, I have the DSP but the method to set the HPF looks more like a workaround. In that case I will keep everything as it is!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it's bad to not use a highpass filter with ported subs. You can likely set one on the inukes if you got the dsp models, though I don't know you're tuning frequency. Worst case you need to pick up a minidsp.
In your opinion would I see an improvement running both sub independently?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a workaround that works, though.
Won't I lose a few dB of headroom though?

If they're different, or the distance to your listening position is different, yes. You'd benefit from appropriate time delay and level settings.
They are the same build and equidistant from MLP, so the only thing that could affect the phase/delay is the room layout and construction?

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Won't I lose a few dB of headroom though?

They are the same build and equidistant from MLP, so the only thing that could affect the phase/delay is the room layout and construction?
Don't see how you'd lose headroom? Can you clarify what you're thinking?

If they're equidistant from the LP, delay will remain the same. No need to change anything imo.

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Incoherent sources lose 3db. Which is like losing half your subs or watts.

FMOD 20hz HPF search it on PE, it's rca. It's like $25or whatever...

Movies are mono LFE, music is "mostly" mono below 120hz, but not always...

Sounds like you wouldn't be gaining much with this change.

I'm 90% music (believe it or not) so i run tri-channel bass but most wouldn't notice or care enough to take it to the last-percent of SQ/experience or e-peen. :D

Especially so if a db could be lost (...oh noes!)

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Are most users running their subs in mono?
99.999% Have only 1 sub.
99% of AVR's/processors have only 1 LFE or dual-mono LFE.
100% of movies are mono LFE.

Mono is the loudest configuration as it forces phase lock.

Most DIY'ers feed their mini or nu with mono LFE, giving them dual mono or quad mono etc... this allows non-equidistant layouts to be time-aligned. Without that they'ed lose up to 3db.

If you have a mini and mains pre-outs then you can run tri-channel bass if I'm not mistaken. This is handy for MBM's that need 200-300hz or any value above the sub-out's LPF, or possibly even composite mixes (like what i run).

I can even switch back and forth with a mouse click in real-time, gotta love all-digital pc dsp!!!

So the short answer is: yes :D

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't see how you'd lose headroom? Can you clarify what you're thinking?
According to @LTD02, you would lose headroom using to DSP to set and HPF: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...tend-high-pass-filter-below-20hz-dcx2496.html

Incoherent sources lose 3db. Which is like losing half your subs or watts.

FMOD 20hz HPF search it on PE, it's rca. It's like $25or whatever...

Movies are mono LFE, music is "mostly" mono below 120hz, but not always...

Sounds like you wouldn't be gaining much with this change.

I'm 90% music (believe it or not) so i run tri-channel bass but most wouldn't notice or care enough to take it to the last-percent of SQ/experience or e-peen. :D

Especially so if a db could be lost (...oh noes!)
From a BJJ guy to a Karate guy: OSS

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
IMO... based on your own words that "You are not a bass-head, and your subs are ran pretty cool"... why the worry about 'losing a few db of headroom', when you don't push them to their outer limits? Wouldn't having the lower frequencies present at the moderate volumes you listen be preferable?

Again, this is IMO only. I would highly recommend using a HPF with ported subs. I don't, but that is only because I have so much more sub than I need, I never stress them. My ears would break first.

BassThatHz gives great advice, but he has a system ... maybe one 1/1,000,000 th of 1% have, it's really hard to compare. Mine is much more modest, but is certainly way more capable than what I "NEED". One man's 'overkill' is another's 'almost enough'. :D

Joseph

1 - 15 of 15 Posts