AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not using Official Sony Components? Your warrantee is voided!

85K views 161 replies 75 participants last post by  Kysersose 
#1 ·
Just got off the phone with Sony Support. Because I have a generic brand of component cables, instead of officially licensed Sony components, Sony has voided the warranty on my PS3 and will only replace it for $150 dollars!

Their product fails, yet they wiggle out of responsibility. Yeah Im sure that component cables can kill a system.
and even if that were the case. What does that say about the system if it can be killed so easily.

So now my system boots up and sits there with a blank screen.

Thank god I kept the receipt. Target allows for exchanges for 90 days or full refund.

My hats off to Target for sticking with their policy. My middle finger to Sony for shirking theirs.

Figured a warning to all of you. If you have issues. LIE! Tell them everything is licensed Sony accessories.

EDIT

I never described what was wrong with my PS3 simply because the bigger subject was SCEA refused to warranty it because of 3rd party instead of a much more logical reason.

It was pretty simple. I went to turn on my PS3 and just got a blank screen. Despite what ever A/V cable I used, my PS3 was dead. No user abuse or anything.

See less See more
#4 ·
You do know that Customer Service at Sony is just a bunch of people with no knowledge....at least most of them. Ask them if their $300 receiver can accept LPCM. Most of them say no, but tell them you saw it somewhere in Sony site that it said it does and they just go along with it and say "I'm sorry, this receiver can accept LPCM".

#6 ·
this has been sony's policy towards 3rd party accessories from the first days of the original playstation. use a 3rd party controller, cable, memory card, etc and your warranty will be voided. unless it's officially licensed, sony wants no part of it and will do everything in their power to ensure that if a problem arises they blame it on the accessory.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 /forum/post/0

Just got off the phone with Sony Support. Because I have a generic brand of component cables, instead of officially licensed Sony components, Sony has voided the warrantee on my PS3 and will only replace it for $150 dollars!

Their product fails, yet they wiggle out of responsibility. Yeah Im sure that component cables can kill a system.
and even if that were the case. What does that say about the system if it can be killed so easily.

So now my system boots up and sits there with a blank screen.

Thank god I kept the receipt. Target allows for exchanges for 90 days or full refund.

My hats off to Target for sticking with their policy. My middle finger to Sony for shirking theirs.

Figured a warning to all of you. If you have issues. LIE! Tell them everything is licensed Sony accessories.

duh! You didnt tell them you used some other cables, did you? Why in the world would you do that?

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf /forum/post/0

duh! You didnt tell them you used some other cables, did you? Why in the world would you do that?

why wouldnt I? I didnt realize that Sony was this bad on their warranty. I plea ignorance then.

In the meantime I hopped on Itrackr found a local target with them in stock and got a new one. easy exchange. they only check to see if its the serials match up. if this new one fails on me then I am keeping all the accessories damnit!

I unpacked the new PS3 and find i odd that the powe cable is unwrapped in the box. I then confirm what I suspected and find that the settings are already set and updated to 1.32. someone had already used this PS3!!! the user name field had "user1boogod" and whoever it was played Marvel Alliance on 1/8. so they either returned it to that target or sony is sending out used units. (and after this BS it wouldnt surprise me)

so a recap for all of you:

12/8 i buy a PS3.

It works fine, beside the random freezing on BDs.

1/16 it boots up only to a blank screen. Sony refuses to warranty it because of generic component cables.

I take back the PS3 to target and get full exchange. I recieve a used PS3, but Target extends their return/exchange period for this exchange.

Now my question is, does this extend to HDMI cables? How bout your TV? He did ask me what TV I had it connected to. If i had official cables, could they void their warranty because my HDTV is a Hitachi not a Sony?

Needless to say this is the last consumer electronic device I will buy from Sony.

#9 ·

Quote:

why wouldnt I? I didnt realize that Sony was this bad on their warantee. I plea ignorance then.

In the meantime I hopped on Itrackr found a local target with them in stock and got a new one. easy exchange. they only check to see if its the serials match up. if this new one fails on me then I am keeping all the accessories damnit!

I unpacked the new PS3 and find i odd that the powe cable is unwrapped in the box. I then confirm what I suspected and find that the settings are already set and updated to 1.32. someone had already used this PS3!!! the user name field had "user1boogod" and whoever it was played Marvel Alliance on 1/8. so they either returned it to that target or sony is sending out used units. (and after this BS it wouldnt surprise me)

12/8 i buy a PS3.

1/16 it boots up only to a blank screen. Sony refuses to warantee it because of generic component cables.

I take back the PS3 to target and get full exchange. I recieve a used PS3, but Target extends their return/exchange period for this exchange.

Now my question is, does this extend to HDMI cables? How bout your TV? He did ask me what TV I had it connected to. If i had official cables, could they void their warrantee because my HDTV is a Hitachi not a Sony?

Needless to say this is the last consumer electronic device I will buy from Sony.

Wow you sure do have bad luck. lol.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpheer /forum/post/0

Wow you sure do have bad luck. lol.

tell me about it.

bad things happen in 3s

1. this morning my monitor stopped working.

2.my ps3 dies

3. while getting the ps3 power cord out i see that my ups needs a new battery.

atleast thats over with.

#15 ·

Quote:

Now my question is, does this extend to HDMI cables? How bout your TV? He did ask me what TV I had it connected to. If i had official cables, could they void their warrantee because my HDTV is a Hitachi not a Sony?

HDMI is an Industry standard the cable and connector have to be the same for every device that has HDMI. Sony's Multi AV connector is just that. Sony's own propiritary design. I've seen some of the other brand Multi AV connectors, and some of them are pure crap. It's not the Cables.. copper is copper. Its the connector that plugs in the Ps units that cause the problems.

#16 ·
I would have called back, spoken to a different person and told them you used their cables to gauge the difference in responses.

However, if falling under the return window, I always return to where I bought it from, usually much less stressful.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red /forum/post/0

I would have called back, spoken to a different person and told them you used their cables to gauge the difference in responses.

However, if falling under the return window, I always return to where I bought it from, usually much less stressful.

well, he said that they documented everything in our conversation. so i assume they would know that my components are gerneric. in the future now, i would assume because i have a different ps3 i can tell them what ever the hell i want.

#18 ·
If true thats a very stupid policy. Espcially from a company that makes sooo much AV equipment. Imagine calling in to have your TV serviced and they tell you...well since you didnt use a Sony brand cable your **** out of luck....yeeeah riight. Id have some choice words for that phone tech.

#19 ·

Quote:

why wouldnt I? I didnt realize that Sony was this bad on their warantee. I plea ignorance then.

12/8 i buy a PS3.

1/16 it boots up only to a blank screen. Sony refuses to warantee it because of generic component cables.

Whomever returned it probably lied and said they never opened it so it was put back on the shelf or it was an inside job but they had to be pretty stupid not to realize their user name would still be displayed. Too bad it wasn't a 360 or they had subscribed to the PS3 network. In both cases you could find out who rerurned the PS3 and why it was on the shelf. Then again since you bricked your return I would leave well enough alone.

#20 ·
OMG that is the biggest BS I've ever heard. You have to use sony cables or the warranty is void? Does it actually say that in their warranty policy? HDMI cables and digital audio cables should come with it then if thats the policy.

So just in case mine ever freezes or breaks, what exactly do I need to tell Sony so they cannot blame it on other accessories? Just that I use only sony cable, have a sony TV and Sony reciever? That my couch is built by Sony and I'm wearing a sony watch?

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapS /forum/post/0

OMG that is the biggest BS I've ever heard. You have to use sony cables or the warranty is void? Does it actually say that in their warranty policy? HDMI cables and digital audio cables should come with it then if thats the policy.

So just in case mine ever freezes or breaks, what exactly do I need to tell Sony so they cannot blame it on other accessories? Just that I use only sony cable, have a sony TV and Sony reciever? That my couch is built by Sony and I'm wearing a sony watch?

no, as somone else pointed out, we are talking about sony propreitary AV connector. Why would you tell Sony that you used "fake" AV cables from china? This is not some industry standard - it is Sony's stuff.

Its like using un-lincensed controller that might be crap and then telling them about it because your ports dont work anymore.

How do they know if it is decent quality connector or not? You simply dont tell them.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf /forum/post/0

no, as somone else pointed out, we are talking about sony propreitary AV connector. Why would you tell Sony that you used "fake" AV cables from china? This is not some industry standard - it is Sony's stuff.

Its like using un-lincensed controller that might be crap and then telling them about it because your ports dont work anymore.

How do they know if it is decent quality connector or not? You simply dont tell them.

So my mono cables would void the sony warranty?

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdorrin /forum/post/0

I don't buy it. However, if true, sounds like a class action lawsuit to me.

Folks we all need to understand that a multi-billion dollar conglomerate has access to their own team of in house lawyers that have more knowledge regarding consumer product law than all of us combined. So before everyone starts a rally cry for some needless, and unwinnable litigation, you better have a clear understanding of the law.

I have friends who has PS2s that were told the same thing as the OP when they had issues with their units....so obviously this has been Sony's "policy" for an extended perioed of time. Believe me if Sony's policy were the foundation of a class action lawsuit it would have been filed years ago.

#26 ·
HDMI no.. Again HDMI is an industry standard. A standard NOT SET or owned BY SONY...so sony had to build the HDMI port to the Industry spec, any cable that is an HDMI cable has to be built to that spec as well. We are specifically talking about Sonys own Propritary AV connector and cable..and what this really boils down to are cheap knock offs messing up people Play Stations, Then Sony having to repair the product because of some knock off company made a connector without Sonys approval (and Sony doesnt get any of the money they make for these cables.) So Sony is getting screwed on both ends. Money to warranty repair a PS because of a knock off cable ( a cable they dont get any $$ out of )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapS /forum/post/0

So my mono cables would void the sony warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.