AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally come to the conclusion that I no longer have any idea what I should be looking for in my next TV. However, due to my location (Germany), I can certainly narrow down the products to a couple of choices. Yes, this post talks dollars, but none of you would want to spend what I am going to be charged anyway, so I won't worry too much. Going to the economy will only lead to even more extreme prices as the dollar hit an all time low today.

I want a 50-52" plasma or LCD. My seating distance is about 8'.

In priority order, I:

1)Game PS3 and X360

2)BR movies

3)SD Movies

4)Computer gaming

5)Other SD stuff (I don't really have any TV signals, per se)

At the moment, I really have about three choices, and none of them are optimal.

1) Panasonic 50" VIERA 720p Plasma 80U Singapore Equivalent $2200

2) Toshiba 52" REGZA 1080p LCD 52Z3500T (This is a Thailand model) $3300

3) Sony 52" 1080p LCD W-Series (Singapore I believe) $4k

If I could get a 50+" TV shipped to me from the US for a reasonable amount, I would jump...but I have not found any way for this to happen. If anyone has done the US -> Germany shipping and would like to share, please let me know.

Am I better off getting the Panny 80U equivalent with the lower price? Or, will I kick myself for not getting the 1920x1080 panel in the coming years? With my gaming priority, will the plasma provide the best motion, or will an LCD provide the sharper result?

·
Registered
119 Posts

Quote:
Am I better off getting the Panny 80U equivalent with the lower price? Or, will I kick myself for not getting the 1920x1080 panel in the coming years? With my gaming priority, will the plasma provide the best motion, or will an LCD provide the sharper result?

I went with a plasma (PZ800U) with an eye towards gaming. But I really don't like LCD motion blur, and the black levels on the Panasonic will be better.

The 360 and PS3 can both output 1080p, although most games don't actually render at 1920x1080. At your seating distance and screen size, you should actually be able to see a difference when viewing high-quality 1080p content, but it's not like 720p will look bad.

I know that getting electronics shipped overseas from the US is usually a huge pain. Most online merchants in the US don't want to deal with foreign customers for a variety of reasons. If you have friends/family stateside, the best method might honestly be for them to buy it and then ship it to you. Also keep in mind that you'll lose warranty coverage on most electronics if you take them out of the country where they were sold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts