AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank-you for your response to my earlier post. Now, let me see if I understand this:

Are you basically saying that if I want to view an HD signal in its proper aspect ratio (read: no stretching, squashing, or cropping), then I need to:

1) Purchase a 16x9 AR set instead of a 4:3.

or

2) Purchase a 4:3 set that DOES NOT do the raster compression in 1080i mode.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NewMember:
Thank-you for your response to my earlier post. Now, let me see if I understand this:

Are you basically saying that if I want to view an HD signal in its proper aspect ratio (read: no stretching, squashing, or cropping), then I need to:

1) Purchase a 16x9 AR set instead of a 4:3.

or

2) Purchase a 4:3 set that DOES NOT do the raster compression in 1080i mode.
No, that's not what I was saying. I was replying to your question "what would happen if a 4:3 1080i image is sent to a squeeze selectable 4:3 TV?"

To proper view HD signal, you can buy either set, but you need to set your stb to output 16:9 1080i in both cases. The 4:3 1080i Gary Mason was talking about, the stb did the cropping (on both sides), so it doesn't fit your definition of proper AR. However 4:3 1080i output (not all stbs can do this) is useful for 4:3 set that cant do raster compression: you can choose between 16:9 810i (if fed with 16:9 1080i) and 4:3 1080i.

BTW, next time, please reply to your original post, otherwise people who sees this thread wouldn't know what we are talking about.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.