AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the official results are in from the original "When will HTCrazy get off the fence?" AVS poll.

Possible answers were:

a. 30 days

b. 3-6 months

c. 7-12 months

d. When Hell Freezes Over

I think the answer the answer is b. since it was taken around 6 months ago, but could have wandered into c. Yes, as the most famous/infamous fence sitter at AVS, I've finally fallen (and I don't want to get back up).

I woke up with an amazing flue that I swore would keep me in bed for at least 2 days. My wife wakes me up and later says "Oh by the way, some guy called and said your projector was in". I asked her to repeat that 3 times progressively slower and then ran to the phone.

OK so the HS10 was in another city at about a 3 hour round trip drive, I was on my deathbed, but oh yeah, they only had 1 unit in stock. Did I want it? Do Eskimoes (fill in the blank)? I was dressed, showered and in the car within 6 minutes.

I haven't even unpacked it yet, but did ask them to set it up at the shop. They projected it onto a grayhawk screen, and at least on the grayhawk, brightness and contrast looked excellent. (They hadn't put it in the filter either). As for screen door (at least the obvious kind i'd seen with the 11HT) it was non-existant even when I walked up to the smallish 72" screen.

They were using a progressive DVD player component out setup and played a sampler disk. The guys kept saying how amazed they were at the brightness. In the room, it was replacing the Sharp 9000 which they also showed a bit of. The colors were phenominally better on the HS10, and in general I preferred the picture on the Sony.

One thing that bothered me a bit was a somewhat soft picture. But since the audio experts there couldn't figure out how to adjust the focus, in it was just out of the box, we'll see if it might have been slightly out of focus. But even if not, I'm used to a bit of softness with Sony video displays.

Myself and sales guys alike just couldn't believe the picture quality for the price. They also had the 12HT, Sharp 9000 and a few others in the store.

I can't wait to set mine up, but from what I've seen at the store without ANY tweaking of any kind, I'm prepared to be astounded. Was it worth waiting 10 months for? So far, I've got to say yes.

·
Registered
761 Posts
HTCrazy the forum says you registered in February 2002 and it is now December 2002. :D Congrats on your aquistion. The focus button is... nevermind you will figure it out!!!

·
Registered
857 Posts
wow HTCrazy !!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no words ....... U lucky DOG !!!!!!!!

still waiting for mine, but according to ____ they should soon arrive ..... Yeah how much did you pay ???????

I was on the fence since June/July.. Was visiting this forum since then but registered in Fall ........ How long will I Sit ????

·
Registered
308 Posts
Oh my god! That explains the news that it was a cold day in hell today! :eek:

Well, I am jealous now...I want one too! Can I get yours? :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think we need a temporary "HTCrazy falls of fence! No, really!!!" forum. Moderators? ;)

Seriously, congrats and enjoy it. You've probably got a 1 year backlog of dvds to catch up on! While you do that I'm gonna run off to the grocery store and see if this news has hit the checkout aisle tabloids yet...

--

Mike U.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Nice work HT, good to see you take the plunge. A few months ago you guys were jealous that I got to see the HS10 befreo you; now its the reverse, I'm jealous that you own one! Still waiting for mine to show up.

By the way, nice work hiding another HS10 thread under a different topic, may fool the mods fora bit. I do wonder if they are concerned about the HS10 dominating the forum because it takes focus away from the pjs that they are selling.

·
Registered
761 Posts
nah it is now not necessary to have a serperate thread. It doesn't meet the critera of "an collective official thread untill some of the hype dropped off"... as HTCrazy has one obviously the hype has dropped off and HTCrazy has broken the wicked HS10 curse:D

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Bah. I don't believe it. I figured I'd die before you actually got a pj.:)

Congrats man. You have no idea how good that news is that you finally got one.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
HTCrazy, a personal congratulations from me! I think that I might join you with an HS10 in early January (once the supplies start coming in). For the moment I'm still enjoying the AE300 very much.... :)

ps. don't forget the screenshots, etc, etc, etc... :)

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm actually as surprised as you are since this dealer told me they wouldn't get any in til late December. At least its good news that they're trickling out to dealers now if you're waiting for yours.

As for the price, I talked them into basically 10% off list plus tax. Since they're in such short supply it was a lot of work getting ANY discount out of them. Plus they were told they wouldn't get more stock for at least 3 weeks. They do have great customer service though, so paying a bit extra doesn't bother me.

I did spend some time watching movies on it tonight and of course it was a blast! But I found myself obsessed with pq and playing around with settings. My wife was asking about certain plot points but since I was so focused the picture she'd have gotten as good an answer asking the wall.

There's a lot to learn before I comment on the HS10's performance, but I'll definitely share my impressions in the next day or two.

LetMeIn - I hope you don't get as neurotic about this stuff as I have been. Since the wife won't tolerate ongoing upgrades, I knew I had to get something I could live with for awhile.

Costa - It WAS damn cold today..makes you wonder..

Builty - Funny how its worked out. Hopefully you'll get a surprise call yourself one of these days. And yes you do need to be a bit more creative naming threads these days.

Blitz - Maybe with me spending more time with the HS10 the hype quotient on AVS WILL go down a bit. Nahh.

Rlindo - Was hoping you'd catch this post. I knew I'd make you proud.

Xander - If you're enjoying the AE300, don't look back. We'll all be wanting to upgrade sooner than we should anyway.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
HTCrazy, I'm interested in your opinion on the HS10 fan noise if you get a chance to compare normal vs cinema black setting. Thanks.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
HTCrazy

Once you got your projector setup at home, did you still see the softness that you originally saw at the store?

·
Registered
418 Posts
HTCrazy, congrats man, I will soon be poping the champagne bottle I was holding for this day.

When are you hosting the Loisville projector shootout? If I was closer I'd bring my AE300 over. I am still wondering if I should have waited for the HS10 or perhaps save a few bucks on the Z1 or gone DLP, maybe used CRT or overseas JVC-DILA bargain, etc..... . Well that's the nature of this hobby I guess. At least it is less expensive than collecting sport cars or boats. Again, congrats on the awesome news!!!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
*PLOP* JP falls off his chair! :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
HTCrazy grabs the only HS10 around my area and now it will be months before any more stock comes in. No fair!! :~)

Steve

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey HTCrazy are you gonna bring that thing with you when you make it over here to the west coast at the end of this month? I'm sure that would be enough to initiate the 3rd Seattle projector shootout. I'm pretty sure we could get an AE300 to compare.

Brent

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Congrats HT - though it would have been quite an accomplishment to get to 1000 posts without an FP!
Damn, I shoulda thought of that. What can I say? All talk and no action.

BJM - unfortunately it looks like I'll be tied up with the family in California and won't be able to visit my buds (or you guys) in Seattle after all :eek:

Cambus - you're welcome to at least visit one for awhile..

Jim - I'll write my impressions in the dedicated thread so as not to ruffle feathers. But I was pretty bummed by the softness until I tried using quality component cables instead of the crap multi-input cable that came with. Whew - what a relief!

Xander - It's hard to have a true sense of the fan noise since the room I'm using also has 2 loud PC's in it. What I can tell, though, is in Vivid mode the fan really cranks on and dramatically drops off in the other modes with cinema black.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.