AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I basically wanna view satellite and dvd on a projector running through the notebook. I've planned the following configuration off the top of my head. Can anyone point out any problems, improvements or recommend any particular equipment (eg external 5.1 sound encoders, tv tuners):

I was thinking:

VIDEO:

- satellite video to USB tv tuner via s-video

- tv tuner to notebook via USB

(Will I be able to get all my satellite stations? I have UHF remote for the sat box)

- video out from notebook to projector (thinking ben-q pb6100 or 6200) via VGA

AUDIO:

- satellite audio to USB digital 5.1 encoder via optical

- notebook to USB sound encoder via USB

- sound encoder to logitech z680 via optical

(Should my satellite audio pass through my notebook somehow?)

Hopefully this setup will attract all due criticism here. I'd rather find the problems out now than later.

Thanks to anyone who's good enough to help out.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
What are your viewing habits... e.g. DVD, Sat TV, OTA TV, etc.

What do you expect the system to be able to do, is it for convenience or is video/audio quality an issue.

One thing I can say is that USB devices generally don't get the same level of driver updates as their PCI counterparts. Same goes for Laptop components which also are less tweakable than their desktop counterparts, but since you are determined to go the notebook route its even more important to know what you are expecting... it isn't pleasant being disappointed.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The system will be almost exclusively for viewing satellite and dvd on both the laptop screen and projector. I have a 17" hp zd700 notebook and would like to get the best video/audio I can without breaking the bank. Would like to come in under $400 usd on the tv tuner/digital sound - not including the speakers.

Question: Is any video feed only as strong as its weakest link? eg. Does the s-video connection from the sat box to the tv tuner limit the quality of the VGA output from the computer to the projector?

Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.