AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old+ Toshiba notebook, with a 2.0 Celeron CPU. I was going to take it on a trip for the first time.

I was just checking the power settings for the various battery modes, and it has the CPU at 100% for the DVD playback setting. That seems like overkill to me. I'd think that a 1.0 Celeron (if there is such a thing) could easily play a DVD using WinDVD 4.0. So I'm thinking the CPU setting should be reduced to extend battery life.

Has anyone played with these settings, and have any advice?

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Although I have a P-M in my notebook, I usually just leave the processor at full throttle. The biggest battery saver is to turn down the backlighting (and turn off Bluetooth/Wifi if you are not using them).

By all means, try a few different settings to see if DVDs are still smooth. Most of the power settings just throttle the CPU down during periods of inactivity, when a workload comes on the CPU throttles back up. If you are doing a lot of sporadic activities you can notice a lag, but I would assume it would level off quickly when starting up a DVD.

-Suntan

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
IMHO the biggest power savings comes from ripping the DVDs to the hard drive while the laptop is plugged in. Then you play the movie from the hard drive using battery juice. You save a lot of battery power because you spin only the hard disk versus spinning the DVD drive plus the hard disk.

It takes a little forethought and prep work but it also results in not having to carry the DVDs.

Gary

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy /forum/post/0

IMHO the biggest power savings comes from ripping the DVDs to the hard drive while the laptop is plugged in. Then you play the movie from the hard drive using battery juice. You save a lot of battery power because you spin only the hard disk versus spinning the DVD drive plus the hard disk.

It takes a little forethought and prep work but it also results in not having to carry the DVDs.

Gary

I was thinking about getting DVDIdle on the machine, since it will cache to hard drive, but then I'd still need to take the DVD.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Look up a little and easy to use application called SpeedRipper. You rip the DVD in file mode and you don't need to carry the DVD. Sorry but we can't discuss ripping in detail in this Forum, but that program is really easy to use.

Gary

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've never had a laptop that had decent enough battery life to expect to watch a whole movie, especially after the battery gets some age on it. The rip to hard drive suggestion seems the best because at least you won't be spinning your optical drive.

Maybe bring a car battery along?

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFR /forum/post/0

I've never had a laptop that had decent enough battery life to expect to watch a whole movie, especially after the battery gets some age on it.

I happen to have a brand new battery--the old one was completely shot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.