AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started (again) listening to director's commentaries regularly after a long break. The first couple have been disappointing (Quest for Fire, Starship Troopers), one was ok (Best in Show). The last one I heard that was noteworthy was "A Knight's Tale" -- the commentary was much better than the movie, but that was over a year ago.

Can anyone recommend any tracks that were particularly entertaining, insightful or just fun?

Michael

·
Registered
326 Posts
SpyKids2 has a GREAT Rodriguez commentary.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell commentary on Army of Darkness - Bootleg Edition is worth purchasing the disk for. Very entertaining, and funny.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
The Criterion edition of "This Is Spinal Tap"- two commentaries, both very fun and informative.

"C.H.U.D."- the funniest ever.

"John Carpenter's The Thing"- Carpenter and Kurt Russel have great chemistry.

"Cannibal: The Musical"- the drunkest commentary ever.

"Citizen Kane"- Roger Ebert's track is a gold mine of anecdotes and information.

Criterion's "Brazil"- Terry Gilliam tells all about his famous battle over this film- be sure to watch the documentaries as well.

These are a few that immediately come to mind that have actually rated multiple listens from me.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A number of movies here I haven't seen.

The Thing -- I can't believe I haven't seen this. A good opportunity to do both.

CHUD -- I've heard about this, guess it's time to jump in.

Army of Darkness -- I'll try renting, and if it is that good, I'll buy. DVD storage real estate is in short supply around here, tho, so I gotta be selective.

This is Spinal Tap Criterion -- I have the other version. I really bugs me when they do that -- you know, a second, better dvd. I kinda liked Rob Reiner's opening line in the commentary, though -- that he didn't think there should be director's commentary at all and it was a lame idea...

Citizen Kane. Got it, haven't seen it, gotta see it now.

The one I enjoyed was A Knight's Tale. Seems making the movie was more fun than watching it.

Thanks for all the mentions so far -- the more the merrier.

Michael

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you like his movies, the Kevin Smith commentaries tend to be fun.

If you are offended by the movies ... skip the commentaries.

·
Registered
162 Posts
A few more suggestions, that I highly recommend:

- Philip Noyce's commentary (and also the other extras) on Rabbit Proof Fence.

- Shekhar Kapur's on "Elizabeth" and "The Four Feathers"

- Olivier's "Henry V" has a wonderful commentary by film historian Bruce Eder. Not a director's commentary, though.

- Kevin Costner's on the original DVD (I have the DTS version) of "Dances with Wolves" This film has been re-issued, in a longer version, which I have not seen.

- John Frankenheimer's on "Seconds"

Michael Bate

·
Registered
154 Posts
Some of my favorites:

Godfather 1 & 2

Blade II

Fellowship of the Ring

Fear and Loathing (Criterion)

Brazil (Criterion)

The Third Man

The Thing

Gosford Park

Usual Suspects

Way Of The Gun

These commentaries are as informative and entertaining as the movies themselves.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
LOTR:FOTR - Actors and Director commentary

Se7en - Director and actors commentary

Fight Club - Director and actors commentary

The Dish R4 - Filmmakers commentary - 2 tracks

fuad

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It's not a director's commentary, but I'm still partial to Jim Lovell's commentary on Apollo 13.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
In case there's any confusion- C.H.U.D. is an awful movie :D - but the commentary had tears rolling down my face. It's classic.

Oh, and speaking of Army of Darkness, Bruce Campbell's commentary on the collector's edition of Evil Dead II (Dead By Dawn) is also very funny. Actually, Bruce Campbell on any edition of anything is generally a winner.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quentin Tarantino on True Romance (although he wasnt the director)

Oliver Stone on many of his, particularly JFK

Gilliam on Brazil, 12 Monkeys, Fear & Loathing

and... the Coen Brothers' Blood Simple. although it doesnt feature them giving the commentary.... hilarious

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the responses. What I should have written up front was any commentary, not just directors.

Fred -- no problem. I recently re-enrolled in netflix so I can rent these -- at least for now.

Cheers, Michael

·
Registered
230 Posts
I liked the Sum of All Fears commentary with Tom Clancy, but then again I have all his books too.

You have to love the author when the first words out of his mouth during his introduction where "My name is Tom Clancy and I'm the author of the book they ignored." He then goes on to make "pointed" comments on the rest of the movie.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by crussader
It's not a director's commentary, but I'm still partial to Jim Lovell's commentary on Apollo 13.

I second that. Asking Jim Lovell to do commentary for this movie was a wonderful idea---this remains my all-time favorite commentary track! IMO, listening to the person (Lovell) who actually lived the dramatic historical events depicted in APOLLO 13 is better than a director's comments could ever hope to be. Lovell's knowledgeable and informative commentary really makes this DVD a "keeper".

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Hilton
I second that. Asking Jim Lovell to do commentary for this movie was a wonderful idea---this remains my all-time favorite commentary track! IMO, listening to the person (Lovell) who actually lived the dramatic historical events depicted in APOLLO 13 is better than a director's comments could ever hope to be. Lovell's knowledgeable and informative commentary really makes this DVD a "keeper".
Agreed, that was a great track. I may have to listen to it again tonight!

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mbpg
I've just started (again) listening to director's commentaries regularly after a long break. The first couple have been disappointing (Quest for Fire, Starship Troopers), one was ok (Best in Show). The last one I heard that was noteworthy was "A Knight's Tale" -- the commentary was much better than the movie, but that was over a year ago.

Can anyone recommend any tracks that were particularly entertaining, insightful or just fun?

Michael
Upon my first viewing, I did not like DARK CITY (Kiefer Sutherland, Jennifer Connaly). Upon viewing it while listening to the Roger Ebert commentary track, my perspective of and appreciation for the film grew appreciably.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I just heard "The Thing", and the commentary was indeed very enjoyable. The good chemistry between the two made such a difference, as did their approach -- just to have a good time. The others are mostly in my netflix queue -- thanks for the recommendations.

Michael

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.