AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a clone adapter from them and was shipped an inferior substitution (a farmer adapter worth about 40% of the advertised ctc2 clone). I have placed an Rma, but was told on their chat site that I may have to pay shipping to ship the wrong adapter back. Being quite frustrated, I figured I'd better keep everyone in the loop (especially since I mentioned this site to several other users looking for this product). I will keep you all posted as to how system-mods handles the transaction...

It goes without saying that me and my ROTK DVD are not amused...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
06/01 - update

Well, it appears they had a 4 day weekend for Memorial Day, as they were closed on Friday and I believe Monday. So we are now on Day 5 and still waiting for contact (other than the automated rma email I recieved). I will try to call them again this afternoon.

06/01 - update #2

Well I called again and waited throught the "we are closed" message and got through (apparently they had not changed the front end message yet). The rep I talked to gave me a pick up tag via email for DHL to come and get the wrong adapter, and re-ordered the (hopefully) correct part to ship to me again (he also apologized twice for the inconvenience). People I've talked to on their chat support site seem to mention that they have all had good service from them, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

* hope I'm not wasting space with this post, but for some strange reason, I feel much more empowered keeping this community in the loop (at least those interested in this web site).

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by govgeek
* hope I'm not wasting space with this post, but for some strange reason, I feel much more empowered keeping this community in the loop (at least those interested in this web site).
I, for one, appreciate these posts. While I hadn't even heard of the company or product until now, I find the sharing of knowledge and experience to be a good thing.

Danke,

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The saga continues.....

Well, after not hearing from them for 5 days, I called them (got the same wrong message about them being closed for the holidays) and talked to a rep that said the correct part would ship on that day, which they did. Two days later (today), I've recieved the part and I'll be dammed if I did not only get the wrong part again, but actually recieved the EXACT same adapter I sent in (I can tell by the damage to the box from shipping). So here I sit with the same 30$ farmer ps2 vga adapter - and a boatload of frustration. I called asking for a manager and was told that one would be available after 3 pm today. I will be demanding they either send the correct part overnight or a full refund. It appears to me that my problem was "fed" through the system rather than handled by hand.

aaaaaahhhhrrrrggggg!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
This site specializes in mod chips which isn't exactly a super reputable business (no ethical implications but you don't see these chips for sale at any non-modcentric electronic retailers like radio shack). That being said, I've dealt with them a few times and they tend to be one of the better mod chip shops out there. Note that there is a different level of service expectation when dealing with mod shops.

I don't view them as a good legitimate retail business. When people say they've had good experiences they likely aren't saying the customer service is on par with Sears or other true retail outlets but just that the place isn't a scam operation. Also, their customer service gets bombarded all day long by kids who mess up their mod installations. Basically, always keep your fingers crossed and have low expectations.

Like I said, this is one of the better ones out there too and some are just purely nightmarish (meaning the worst ones might charge your card, not ship your product, give you false tracking info, and purposely dodge your communications over a period of 8 weeks or so until they get the stock or disappear completely - it's happened before).

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I mildly take issue w/ the idea that this business is "Disreputable". I disagree w/ the concept that Microsoft and sony are trying to sell. I.e when you buy an Xbox or ps2 you are actually "licensing" the product and that they can place restrictions on how you can use it. I dont recall signing such a contract when i bought mine. The salesman didnt disclose this to me when i purchased it. If i want to alter the product why shouldnt i ? As long as you arent stealing software or such they shouldnt be able to restrict your use.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I didn't mean it that way. I have a modded box and I've modded others for friends using several chips and companies. I have around 1400 posts at Xbox-Scene (sad use of my time given so many other demands). Mine is primarily a HTPC and media serving unit to my home theater. The point I was trying to make with 'no ethical implications' was precisely not to take a moral stand on the legality of mod chips but basically a service stand. No standard retailer of electronic parts sells mod chips for whatever reason whether that be legal, business, or profitability (Lik Sang is the closest I guess). They are all dedicated 'mod chip shops' for the most part. The level of service that many mod chip shops provide is abysmal for a variety of reasons several of which are not under their control but some have bordered on deliberate deceit and fraud (not common but has happened). People have come to expect less of these businesses than others as the range of experiences tends to be negatively skewed. That being said, System Mods has a reputation as one of the best in the business. I agree but I think their service is several orders of magnitude removed from a Newegg or a Sears. Meaning that they might be a great mod chip retailer but not a great retailer in general.

BTW - I used to live in Philly (saw your sig). I lived just off Rittenhouse from 1998-2000, Old City for 2001-2002, and Manyunk before moving to Pittsburgh for business school.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well ChrisFB I kind of agree with your evaluation. I spoke with a "manager" and after a confusing discussion, I was finally able to get them to see what was happening by sending a picture of what I ordered and a picture of what I was getting. They then realized that they have not had that part in stock for some time now and had been sending me something with the same name on the box. At this point they are going to call me back shortly with another DHL call tag and then refund my money once they see it's on its way back. Guess I'm gonna try DCS now (shop in Hong Kong that some other AVS'rs have used). The one thing I did learn from this whole thing is that DHL is a very fast and responsive shipping company!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.