AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They NEVER directly compare two higher end components.

Why is it we have to go to the internet and real users to find

out how the Outlaw compares to the Rotel or the Anthem?

Audio magazines are becomming more irrelevant day by day.

The internet is killing them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Must be time to beat another dead horse.

No argument with what you said.

A few things to keep in mind:

1) Magazines generate their money from ads, not subscriptions. Pissing off the advertiser will probably result in loss of income. Subscribers are only there to provide a basis for your advertising rates.

2) The reviews are useful for finding out what is GOOD about a system - what sets it apart. Odds are you will find nothing negative about it. That is what the internet is for ;)

3) AV Mags are like stock brokers. They will never tell you a component sucks (or that a stock is a "sell"). If they say the component is "good" (ie. "hold"), it means it blows chunks (sell), but the editor won't let me say so. You have to read between the lines. If it REALLY blows chunks (or they don't buy ads in your mag), then just don't review it.

Or am I just being cynical?

Let the flogging begin!

·
Registered
277 Posts
The internet is also full of misiformation. Lots of fun but shouldn't be taken any more seriously than mags. It is rare that you will find honest objective opinions in the forums, everybody wants to feel good about their peice of equipment by selling everybody else on how good it is.

It is almost impossible to know when someone is giving you real world experience or just repeating what they have heard.

If you want to read some interesting letters sent to some of the most popular audio mags. from an experienced audiophile, engineer, owner of one of the first high end audio stores, and author, go to the following website:
audioperfectionist.com and read the watch dog letters.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have got a website for you:
http://www.high-endaudio.com/index_ac.html

He has the "rules" of review listed. Something along the lines of : If you have to compare something, compare something either way above or way below the price of the component currently being reviewed. Better yet, compare it to an older version of the same component etc...

great reading. Especially on cable companies.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The only way to learn from magazines AND the forums is to constantly read between the lines. If you take the information at face value it will often mislead. If for example you want to know the relative capabilities/worth of a given piece of equipment, you'll want to hear from long-term owners and as many reviewers as possible. If you follow various reviewers you'll get to know their biases and take those into account. By looking at what a bunch of people say about a given product you will begin to get a feel for how it performs/sounds. Then, it is basically up to you to try it in your system yourself. I won't buy gear that I can't do an extended home-trial with. The ONLY way to know if it is right for me!

·
Registered
541 Posts
On a side note, anyone else hate the DVD reviews in HT magazine?

Are they reviewing the movie, the video, the sound, or all three. It's often hard to tell. Plus, they all seem to read the same:

"The transfer to DVD rendered a high quality picture, while the colors seemed to bounce from my screen" "The DD 5.1 track was adequate with lots of action from the rear channels". Then, there's usually a short blurb about how "this movies sucks beyond belief" but is worth owning because of the superb video transfer.

Let's be honest. I may buy one or two movies solely because of the soundtrack or video quality. But mostly I buy movies because I like the movies. Quality video and sound are bonuses (which I would probably pay extra for).

My point is, either review the movie or don't. No 1/2 a*( job.

There I vented.

pc

BTW..I buy magazines to see the advertising and pictures/descriptions of new gear that I don't usually see in stores. That is worth my $1.88 per month. The reviews are generally worthless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.