AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i recently moved into a new place, which has a much better oriented room for HT use (in my old place i couldnt get my FL/FR speakers more than the width of the TV apart from each other, even that was cutting it close on space), but on the flip side is also a lot more cubic feet.

Anyways, in my old place the A2-300 performed admirably, since moving into my new place, it seems literally weak. I *believe* its due to the fact that the room i've moved my HT in is probably about 50% more space overall, but the difference in output is almost embarassingly lower. I used to run the receiver output at -1.5db and i had the volume know on the sub at about 50%. Now i have the volume knob at about 80% and +3.5 on the receiver, and it is still pretty low output, particularly in the mid bass area. I now regularly bottom out the sub during movie watching etc, which is not ideal. I've tried several different placements and although there is some minor benefit, overall its still just weak output.

What i'm trying to determine, is over the next few months i am gonna start trying to save some money for a decent upgrade for the sub, and as far as i can tell i can get a lot more for the money via DIY than purchasing a pre made sub. There are some problems though. I dont have access to any basic tools so what i was likely going to do was contact eD, who has told me (in the past) they would be willing to do a custom box build for me, and then purchase my own driver and amp to power the setup. I know its not true DIY as i would essentially just be putting it all together rather than actually building anything, but i am unfortunately limited both tool and knowledge wise as to actually building a proper sub box, not to mention even getting into decent looking finishes, etc.

I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction. I'd like to keep the sub no more than 36" tall, no more than 2-22" wide, and no more than 24-25" deep if possible. I was hoping for at least a 15" driver, 500-800w RMS, ported, etc.

My main use for this sub is HT, I don't need it to go super low, but i would like at least down to 18hz or so (i know room is a big factor here). I do frequently listen to music, so if possible to also have it be clean and articulate, that would be great. But if i have to sacrifice music prowess for HT prowess, i'm ok with that.

What kind of budget should i expect for something like this. I would like to keep the total cost under $800 if thats even remotely possible (i know the cabinets going to eat a large portion of that). Should i look at a plate amp, or would i be better served by a seperate pro amp, etc?

When i get home tonight i'll do some measurements and try to make an overhead drawing of the room layout and how everything is setup so you guys can see /give advice, etc.

I appreciate any input and apologize for the lengthy post, i just figured it was needed backstory/info.

·
Registered
418 Posts
could do eDs new 19Ov2 kit supposed to be 100 dbs at 10 hz gp measurements, ill hopefully get a listen to it soon, $700 shipped wood amp and 18" driver included

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nels07 /forum/post/18201518

could do eDs new 19Ov2 kit supposed to be 100 dbs at 10 hz gp measurements, ill hopefully get a listen to it soon, $700 shipped wood amp and 18" driver included

Wow, good catch, i didnt even see that part of the website. Definitely something to consider. Kind of funny that the overall dimensions of that kit are just about identical to what i listed hehe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts