AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've built the same dual 18 (two UM18-22s) ported enclosure Notnyt is currently using, (I know I know if I don't have pics it didn't happen) and I must say Damn it is huge! I really didn't think about how huge it was until I tried to move it in the house; It wouldn't fit through my garage door that enter the house. This thing is larger than two martys. I purchased another inuke6000dsp to drive them and it would be paired with the quad 15s in modified martys. I decided to hold off on watching Interstellar until I built the enclosure, well last night was the night. I tested the enclosure and inuke on a 20 amp circuit using music and I was very disappointed; I didn't know what was going on. I was frustrated and decided to just watch the movie with only the UMs playing. After watching the movie I have a different opinion, This thing ROCKS!!!! It was literally night and day output listening to the music and watching Interstellar. It got really scary on one scene because we began to smell the scent of something burning. I thought it was the power cord extension, but it turned out to be coming from the inside of the enclosure. I haven't confirmed yet, but I believe it was the voice coils of the 18-22s. To my surprise, the inuke held up:)

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
I've built the same dual 18 (two UM18-22s) ported enclosure Notnyt is currently using, (I know I know if I don't have pics it didn't happen) and I must say Damn it is huge! I really didn't think about how huge it was until I tried to move it in the house; It wouldn't fit through my garage door that enter the house. This thing is larger than two martys. I purchased another inuke6000dsp to drive them and it would be paired with the quad 15s in modified martys. I decided to hold off on watching Interstellar until I built the enclosure, well last night was the night. I tested the enclosure and inuke on a 20 amp circuit using music and I was very disappointed; I didn't know what was going on. I was frustrated and decided to just watch the movie with only the UMs playing. After watching the movie I have a different opinion, This thing ROCKS!!!! It was literally night and day output listening to the music and watching Interstellar. It got really scary on one scene because we began to smell the scent of something burning. I thought it was the power cord extension, but it turned out to be coming from the inside of the enclosure. I haven't confirmed yet, but I believe it was the voice coils of the 18-22s. To my surprise, the inuke held up:)
Well, I don't know how to feel about your post.

I was stoked for you...then disappointed...then scared...then happy again.

First time any post has brought me full circle.

Congratusorryomgyay?!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I think it should be clear by now that ULF ported HT subs are not going to going to give you what you're looking for, for music anyway.

You could get 8 of these for less then quad UM18 and have a setup with 140db from 4k watts. Each woofer needs 5 ft3 with a pair of 4" x 6.5" ports and 500 watts.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pa460-8-18-pro-woofer--295-036

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it should be clear by now that ULF ported HT subs are not going to going to give you what you're looking for, for music anyway.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pa460-8-18-pro-woofer--295-036
You are correct Jay. My lack of knowledge in this area has inaccurately influenced my expectations. I now understand that I must build enclosures specifically for music in order to get similar results of ported ULF enclosure intended for movies.

^^^
Lol.

Since when did notnyt have UM's?
Maybe I worded a statement wrong, but I didn't mean to suggest Not built his enclosures for UM18-22s, I did. I'm aware Not uses LMS 18s

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Maybe I worded a statement wrong, but I didn't mean to suggest Not built his enclosures for UM18-22s, I did. I'm aware Not uses LMS 18s
Got it. Thought maybe I missed something.

You can get good music bass out of what you have. Really good integration with the mains is VITAL to good music bass. Movie bass is less critical of integration because the bass is usually a separate sound effect only coming from the LFE channel. So it can stand on its own. Music bass transitions from mains to sub. If that hand-off isn't perfect, you get a muddy mix in between. Once you get everything time aligned and smoothed out I bet your music sounds great also.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the proof

The 18-22 is a looker

The picture of the "Big Azzed" enclosure really doesn't give a true sense of how huge it is. Oh and I did brace vertically, I just can't find the pic; you will just have to take my word for it:p

·
Registered
411 Posts
Still LOL when I see the huge boxes. Not in a bad way just crazy way. I would have to have them behind a screen but the way I am set up no need, not to mention I don't have a basement to really enjoy them in.

ETA: how big was the box CF wise? Actually not that big for two.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what were you hoping that the subs would do for music that they don't?
Fill the room with clean bass. The best way I can explain how the bass sounds during music is muddy and distorted. The more I turned the volume up, the muddier and distorted the bass became. I believe this may be a source issue, because movies don't result in muddiness and distortion (at least to my ears) as the music does. While watching Interstellar, the more I increased the volume, the louder the bass became; no mud or distorted sound. The music was rap and I haven't tested how classical sounds yet.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still LOL when I see the huge boxes. Not in a bad way just crazy way. I would have to have them behind a screen but the way I am set up no need, not to mention I don't have a basement to really enjoy them in.

ETA: how big was the box CF wise? Actually not that big for two.
I agree with you; I'd hide it if I could. I'd also love to have a basement, but unfortunately, Louisiana soil can't support basement

Reactions: Boomassiv

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Room null somewhere? Have you tried moving it around....like its that easy lol. Get some carpet sliders and through under that bad boy.
Not easy at all....even with a dolly. Now I will have to research these carpet sliders.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
411 Posts
I ask about the size because it seems smaller than what I remember Notnyt's or Jbrown's (think that is the screen name) boxes. Maybe the port length was off? I was thinking they had > 20cf for one sub and that looks to be 25-30ish for two? Im probably way off and just going off my not so good memory.

ETA I found the thread you used to build the box.......just looks small in your pictures for some reason.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ask about the size because it seems smaller than what I remember Notnyt's or Jbrown's (think that is the screen name) boxes. Maybe the port length was off? I was thinking they had > 20cf for one sub and that looks to be 25-30ish for two? Im probably way off and just going off my not so good memory.

ETA I found the thread you used to build the box.......just looks small in your pictures for some reason.
Like I said, the pictures just don't do any justice to just how huge the box actually is. I used the same cutlist Not used to make his four enclosures.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Should sound just fine with music... I did a similar setup but not quite as a big and mine sound just as good with music as they did when they were sealed except with a lot more output.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts