AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering also if NBC would ever consider to broadcast the Notre Dame football games they have in HD? ANyone know if this would ever happen. although i dont know if i wanna watch that team in HD, wont make them look any better. on the field at least. ;)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
NBC sports is a complete mystery to me. Besides the Triple Crown and Olympics, I have heard absolutely nothing concerning their use of HD equipment for lilve sporting events.

In other words, no one has any idea when or if they will ever get on teh HD bandwagon. Plus, wasn't NBC bought recently?

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
So far NBC Sports has been a no show when it comes to HDTV. They have almost nothing that they can point too. The Olympics were all HDNet's stuff, and the Triple Crown was almost humorous this year with only 15% of the footage being in HD.

Nascar, Football, and everything else they have has been in SD.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It's pretty sad the that network that pioneered color tv is so far behind the other networks as far as HDTV goes.Apparently the spirit of the peacock has died at NBC and the bean counters rule.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Not to mention they have lost almost all their sports contracts.

Remember as well that this is the same network that never learned how to do a score and time box on football broadcasts until this season.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have heard from an unconfirmed source that NBC is building HD-capable trucks as we speak to broadcast live events in HD. As somone stated above, the Olympics were done previously using HDNet cameras because NBC has none of their own. I believe they are trying to get their own equipment ready for this year's Olympics in Athens and then use that same equipment here in the States after the games are finished. This could very mean ND football in the fall.

As I stated, this is purley unconfirmed and all/parts could be totally false.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A couple to things. 1. NBC bought Universal, soon to be known as NBC/Universal. NBC did not lose their sports contracts, they decided that they were a money losing proposition and chose to let CBS and Fox lose the money instead. Finally, NBC sold all of their sports trucks to NEP and has no intention of building others.

Since NBC has been owned by GE they have decided to make money and not be the cutting edge leader they were under RCA. They dont make programs to sell tv sets anymore.

MHz

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Megahurts-

NBC has to, at some point, build or retrofit their current trucks to broadcast ANY mobile event in HD. Because they are a network TV station, they are bound by the rules of FCC. This means that _all_ broadcasts must be done in HD before the "switchover" date. So while they may be getting out of the sports broadcasting arena, I would imagine they would have to have some mobile broadcasting units. I guess it's possible they could lease trucks from other companies but I just don't see that as a financially good decision...especially from a company as large as GE/NBC.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fender4645
Because they are a network TV station, they are bound by the rules of FCC. This means that _all_ broadcasts must be done in HD before the "switchover" date.
They must be digital, not high definition.

·
Registered
61 Posts
While they will use the Olympics equipment at facilities afterwards, not in the news trucks. As mx6bfast mentioned, the FCC mandated digital, not HD standards which apply to stations.

If it was cheaper to own instead of lease, the networks would not have sold all their production trucks. News trucks are a different story.

MHz

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fender4645
Megahurts-

NBC has to, at some point, build or retrofit their current trucks to broadcast ANY mobile event in HD. Because they are a network TV station, they are bound by the rules of FCC. This means that _all_ broadcasts must be done in HD before the "switchover" date. So while they may be getting out of the sports broadcasting arena, I would imagine they would have to have some mobile broadcasting units. I guess it's possible they could lease trucks from other companies but I just don't see that as a financially good decision...especially from a company as large as GE/NBC.
None of the 4 commercial networks own mobile production units anymore. They rent them on an event by event basis.

There is no FCC mandate for HDTV.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Ok, obviously my "source" isn't too good. I guess what I'm trying to get at is at some point I would expect SD as the way we know to go the way of the dodo. To say that we will never see a Notre Dame game in HD I would think is highly unlikely.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Has anything happened regarding HDTV on NBC Sports in the last couple of months? I am also looking forward to ND in HD.

The home games this year are Michigan, Washington, Purdue, Stanford, Boston College, and Pittsburgh.

Unfortunately, USC is an away game (or rather, maybe fortunately from the standpoint of HDTV).

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Not yet. Other than the Olympics and horse racing, I don't think NBC has done another sporting event in HD. Personnally I would say no ND in HD on NBC yet, but I could be wrong.

edit: Forgot about Daytona, thanks Sonoma

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Don't forget NBC did the Daytona 500 in HD earlier this year.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I read in a trade article that NBC is negotiating to have an HD unit built for golf. It stated that for the US Open and the Ryder Cup, they need a truck that can handle 50 cameras.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.