AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good place in Northern Virginia/DC to view projectors and do comparisons? Like a store where they have different projectors set up and you can view DVDs and other sources to see how they compare? It is hard to visualize what would be best for me without seeing them first hand.

Thanks...

Jeff

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Available for display..

INfocus Lp340's..Nec vt540's Vt440's Sony 10ht...Ampro Alice 3 chip DLP.. Mitsubishi X300's..I have no DILAs in-stock right now. Projectors can be viewed on a Stewart Grayhawk screen and with DVDO pro HTPC and typically Crytal Imager but I sold my demo to someone in Hawai.

I have renovated my stable (1000sq ft) into a custom Theater complete with bar, full bath and storage. Keep in mind I am not a commercail property so I only demo by appointment. I am 2 miles from Tysons COrner on Old Courthouse road. The thater room is not complete as all furniture has not arrived and some sound treatments...however everything is there for images and soumd

Regards,

John

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John was kind enough to demo some projectors for me last night in his theater. You couldn't ask for a more perfect environment to test out equipment. The theater is housed in a separate structure from the house and is equipped with a Stewart Grayhawk and a Sonance Cinema 2 THX system.

I first viewed the Ampro 3-chip DLP. The room was never fully dark and the picture was amazing. Toy Story 2 of course looked perfect, and the live action movies that were sampled also looked great. The colors were incredible on this machine. John also informed me that the new Sharp's performance was close to that of the Ampro. If so, I think my short list of projectors to consider is going to become VERY short!

After seeing the Ampro in action, John set up the NEC VT540. While the picture was not quite up to par with the Ampro, it was very, very good for such an affordable machine. If I had not just watched the 3 chip DLP it would have looked even better I'm sure.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the experience and let people know about the demo theater that John set up. All it took was an e-mail to set up the demo and that was it. I would recommend the experience to anyone in the Northern VA area.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have a quick question about the NEC VT540. We have one at work and I notice that this projector has a pronounced screen door effect in comparison to my personal Infoucs LP1000B conference room projector. Did you notice the pixels when viewing this projector?

The NEC MT1030 portable projector which we also have at work is closer to the LP1000B in terms of fill factor. The LP1000B has a micro lens array which increases brightness, but I don't think that it affects the screen door. It could be that the larger LCD panels in the larger projectors just have less inter pixel gap than the smaller panels being used in the ultra portable designs. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The VT540 did have some screen door from closer than 13 ft or so (not sure of exact distance). I could sit a lot closer with the 3 chip DLP (obviously). But for the price the NEC performed well if seating was at a distance where screen door went away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.