AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K., my company is moving office locations early next year and as a result there is a NovaBeam 100 CRT projector that only has about 1000 hours maximum on the bulbs, for absolutely free! I've been able to find minimal information on this unit , but I do know that it's was made in about 1986. I also may have an opportunity to get a BoxLight 2002 unit. It is rated at 300 Lumens, it has a 6.4" TFT LCD display @ 800X600 native and a maximum of 1024 X 768. I plan on using the projector for DVD usage (85%), Satelite (%10), and VCR (%5). What type of quality can I expect from either of these units? Which one is better? Are either worth my time? Anyone who can help me with these questons, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I've found out a little more information about this unit. It is still being serviced by a company called Elitevison. I can get the service manual for $90. It's Scan rate is fixed at 15.5khz, so I assume that this means that I can't hook it to a PC? In terms of connections it only has composite Video and Audio. It also uses either a 7 or 10 ft. Screen.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The Novabeam made a pretty good picture in it's day. For free, I'd pick it up. But it only does video. No PC, no doublers. Sorry. But hey, did you say FREE????

Marc

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep it's absolutely free of charge. With a scan rate of 15.75KHz it seems that I'm limited. However there was guy on the net who said using the NovaBeam 100 with his LD-101, it produced a nice picture with about 400 Lines of resolution. Since the majority of my viewing will be with a DVD player, I want to make sure that I'm not getting a 10ft picture that looks like crap! Interesting enough, I'm reading that most tube TV's have the same scan rate. Is this true? If so then can I assume that the picture quality will be the same as it is on my 36 in Magnavox TV? If so, then I can definitely live with that type of quality.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Good lord, don't project it on a 10ft screen or you will be sorely disappointed.

I had a variation of the Novabeam at one point and it was good for the day, but nothing like more modern projectors...

·
Registered
24,936 Posts
No doubt Henry Kloss' Novabeams were just the **** at the time. The brightest by far. The high gain curved 6.5' screen is the way to go. Interlaced DVD might look pretty cool . I did see some LD on it but it could be rose colored glasses here. I don't know what your expectations are but if you have not gotten used to what CRTs can do now it might be fun.

Art

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I would say that my expectations are not very high. I'm currently using a 36 inch Magnavox in my HT, it it's adequate for my use. Seeing that this piece is FREE, as long as I get quality equal to my 36" TV then I would be ecstatic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.