Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have the Sanyo PLV-70. My cable company has started advertising a block of HDTV channels. I believe this would require a new cable receiver box? (I cant have satellite in my building)

What cables would I need to connect to the projector and show HDTV. I currently run the standard cable box into my receiver using a svideo cable. My receiver only has svideo outputs.

The projector is approximately 70 feeet from the receiver.

IS HDTV possible over a svideo cable? Will the cable box even allow me to plug the hdtv signal via my receiver.

Basically I have no clue ;-)

thanks

Mark Gason

·
Registered
367 Posts
Your Sanyo will do a fantastic job on HDTV, I have its clone a HD20. You will have to hook up the PJ with component cables or VGA, check with your cable co. if their box supports either. Your receiver is only good for the audio, S video will not support HDTV. The DVI connection is not HDCP so it probably won"t work on the cable box. Some day you should up grade your receiver to one that has component switching.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Wow, that's a seriously long run of cable. You won't get HDTV over Svideo, component cable is a minimum. Yes, you need to swap for an HDTV cable box, most of them charge around $5 per month more for it. Call your cable company.

Sounds like you're doing video switching through your audio receiver? You could still do this for the standard cable channels but not for the HDTV.

You should also be using component outs for your DVD player for best results with that projector. HDTV will be stunning on it as the projector can do full 720P.

First thing I'd look at is how to get the two closer together. Good quality component cables are expensive and you tend to get signal deterioration with long runs. RG6 coax for connecting the cable box to the feed is cheap. It might also pay to put the HDTV box and DVD player with or very near the projector and run the audio feed back to the amp.

Give us more details. Where is your equipment located relative to the projector?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies,

I had considered the possibility of a new receiver.

how about this one?
http://reviews.cnet.com/Yamaha_RX_V1...?tag=pdtl-list

as to my setup and cable run.

The projector is mounted on the ceiling in my loungeroom which is 15 feet high.

The rest of my equipment is in a rack in the office. placing the gear closer is not really an option. (75 feet was a high estimate, some more calculations in my head and I would say 60)

I do have a 2" conduit to the projector location from the rack. It currently contains 3 unused coax cables. more could be added.

what would the best possible connection/connector be?

mark

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you've already got three unused coax you can get RCA connectors for them at Parts Express or another such outlet. Srtip the cable just like you were going to install an F connector, slide the RCA connector on and voila, one of the best component cables anywhere.

Edit: Forgot to add, crimp with the appropriate tool. You can also find screw on type connectors, but I don't think these work nearly as well. And a stripper and crimper are only about $20 total at Home Depot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one input on the projector has 3 rca's labelled

VideoY, Cb/Pb, Cr/Pr

The other has 5 BNC's,

labels above the first 3 are the same as the Rca's

labels below on all 5

G, B, R, Hv, V

which should I use?

Would the receiver I mentioned have 3 Rca's as the outputs suitable for HDTV?

I have some coax to RCA adaptors which I use elsewhere with success (to run signal to my powered sub)

thanks for all the help

mark

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Holy Cow your haven't seen your Sanyo via component or DVI yet ?

Get a Bravo DVI DVD player and hook up the HD box with component cable. You can use either the component input (RCA's) or the RGB (BNC's) inputs for component connection Mark. Don't miss out, be sure to use the DVI for your DVD's. You can't use any STB for DVI, won't work, but component is much better than what your now using.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again ;-)

a couple more questions.

How critical is it that the 3 coax cables be exactly the same length?

I dont quite understand this,

"be sure to use the DVI for your DVD's. You can't use any STB for DVI, won't work, but component is much better than what your now using."

If I use DVI for my DVD does that mean my dvd must be connected directly to my projector? If so I would need to pull a 60 foot DVI cable, sounds too long and would hate to try pulling that through my conduit.

what is STB?

Do any receivers have DVI inputs? would that help anyway if outputs were all component

Any recommendations for a receiver, the one I mentioned previously seems pretty good. My budget is not too big I am afraid, about $600 tops.

thanks again

it is all becoming clearer

mark

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Most STB's (set top box meaning cable or sat tuner) with DVI ports may eventually apply HDCP protection to the signal, in which case the PLV70 will not accept it.

3 coax cables can probably vary in length a little bit, but ideally they should not.

A few receivers have DVI, but they are the flagship ones costing $2K-5K.

60ft DVI would probably not work, DVI is limited in length and only functions up to about 50' with low bandwidth ( i.e. DVD) probably only 15-20ft at hidef bandwidth.

The DVD player Jimmy is talking about is the Bravo D1, which upscales DVD output to preset or custom PJ resolutions and outputs over DVI. The picture from this deck with the PLV70/20HD is really, really nice (I have this setup as well). But yes, I had to put my DVD deck next to my PJ and then run a long coax digital audio back to my rack.

Sounds like you may have to stick with component for now (still better than Svid). As for receivers, all the decent ones in your price range probably switch at least 2 component souirces, Yamaha, Denon, Onyo, Marantz, etc.

BB

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I send the regular component video signal to the projector from a DVD is the projector upscaling the video? I assume not as well as the Bravo DVD deck mentioned.

I have a cat5 tester that can tell me the length of a cable, does anyone know of a similar device for coax, so I can trim the 3 cables to the same length?

mark

·
Registered
327 Posts
First of all I have a PLV-60 and my brother has a PLV-70, so I am familiar with both. For HDTV just use RCA to RCA component and avoid the BNC connection. Next, why do you need a new receiver to run HDTV? tThis is not needed. Just run straight from your Cable Box to your projector. It is usually better to avoid going through a receiver if possible as sometimes you can have some signal degradation there. Instead of buying a new recevier buy a DVD player with DVI out (like the D1 or other comparable), the difference between this and S-Video is night and day!!!

Good luck and have fun going to the next level, you are in for a surprise...

Jack

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well as I mentioned the rack is 60 feet from the projector.

The projector is 15 feet in the air.

Putting a DVD player near it is not practical.

I wish it was.

Is there any reason the RCA's are better if I have coax run and already have BNC connectors?

mark

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Actually, technically BNCs are better as they are true 75 ohm connectors as is specified for video. In practice, good RCA component cables will perform pretty much just as well.

However, there is a question about processing on the 70's 2 different inputs. J. Mike had a thread where in talking to Studio Experience about their testing of his 20HD (70 clone), they were not seeing an issue on input 2 that he WAS seeing on his component input, which led to some miscommunication between them. I have used both, and ended up using BNC due to other factors in my setup.

I would go ahead and use the BNCs if you already have them. Worst case, you snip off an inch of the cables and reterminate them with RCA if there is some issue. There is no issue with a cable being RCA at one end and BNC at the other.

Jack is right about avoiding the receiver, especially for hidef signals as a lot of receivers, even if they switch component, have input sswitching that is not really rated for hidef bandwidth. About the minimum rating you'd want is 30MHz, and many if not most think 50MHz switching is really better if you want to not impact the picture. Most midlevel receivers such as you are looking at used to have component switching below that quality as they were intended for only DVD type signals. My research is a couple of years out of date at this opint, so maybe no longer true. Regardless, though, you will probably see a tiny difference if you connect directly to the hidef tuner rather than switch through.

BB

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
You would need more cables. Just trying to inform you what the tradeoffs are. Unless your VCR is Svid, you will need to run it into the composite input on the RCA jacks, which then precludes using those for component.

So your options are:

add 4 more coax, 3 for DVD component, one for VCR composite, and hook all sources directly to the PJ, plugginng and unplugging the DVD/VCR as needed (pain in the ass) or

switch component for HD cable/DVD thru the receiver, but you still aren't going to get your VCR through the existing cable, unless you somehow convert composite to component, and I am not aware of any midlevel receivers that do so, let alone well.

Have you watched your VCR through the 70? I am nearly unable to do so the image is so lousy, and I have a very new SVHS deck. It might not even be worth your while to worry about that aspect.

BB

·
Registered
510 Posts
mgmason-

At your price range (up to 600), go and check out the mid level Yamahas at your local Tweeter or equivalent (not Best Buy). I was just in the market for a "cheap" receiver that did DTS and the 7.1 varieties and did some research. I didn't buy one (JVC was cheaper), so I'm not just hawking this because I own it.

Yamaha had at least two recievers priced in your ball park that indicated HD switching thru component was ok (high bandwidth rated) PLUS, they advertise that composite and S-vid sources will be upconverted and sent to the display via the single set of component cables.

I've pulled a lot of wire in my house-and I make pulling it my last resort. You've already got the three unused coax. Hook'em up, get the Yamaha, and see how it looks. 'bout as easy as it gets in your situation. Plus, if you've only been watching s-vid sources and no HDTV, your eyes will pop!

Sooner or later, Lcom will come out with the same system for DVI that they have for VGA where you don't have to run the giant connector all the way thru the conduit (has small interconnects that hook to the plug). Then you can run your DVI.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again to all,

Brandon swapping cables is not practical, sometimes I guess quality has to suffer for ease of use. A trade-off as you say.

I do have a SVHS vcr it does look bad but is still the quick and dirty way to record something and share it, plus I have a multi-system vcr (PAL etc) so I can watch stuff sent from home (australia) or record stuff to send there. Another set of connections

Rlundy

The Yamaha I looked at (see the link in this thread) does the things you say. It seems to me the most practical if not the most perfect way to go. It is just in my price range and does upsample composite and svideo to component, and indicates HD component switching is OK.

cant wait to see how much better this looks after enthusiasm for HD component through my projector ;-)

I guess I am decided on my path, thanks all for all the help

mark

·
Registered
327 Posts
Unplug what??? Hello??? It really isn't that difficult. On input #3 you have the option of S-Video or Component (RCA). On input #2 you have the Component/RGB with BnC connectors. Here are your options, in order of preference:

1. Connect your HDTV to the Input #2 component using the coax you already have and the BnC connectors. Next connect the composite or s-video from your receiver/vcr to Input #3. Please note if you choose to use the component connection on Input #3, you can also use the S-Video on Input #3 and simply switch between the 2 via remote...no unplugging needed. Next buy a D1 or similar DVD player for next to nothing and buy a long DVI cable (splice together 2 - 10 meter cables if you need to) and connect that to the projector. Or, if that is out, use your existing DVD player (assuming it is progressive scan) and connect it to one of the open Inputs (either 2 or 3 depending on where your HDTV is going) using another set of home made coax/compenent cables. By the way, the DVI picture on the PLV-70 is awesome if using an upscaling DVD player...use the DVI option if possible. Problem solved, no video switching needed.

2. Buy a receiver and hope it has good switching 75 ohm capability without any resulting loss in signal. Forget about the DVI.

Either way I am sure you will be happy, but I always try and avoid video switching whenever possible...just my preference. I hope you have success whichever option you choose.

Jack

·
Registered
327 Posts
One more thing, you may want to check out the quality of upsampled S-Video/ Composite to Component. I have seen this done many times and while the upsampled signals do provide a decent picture, they definetly lack the punch and detail of the original signal (S-Video / Composite). Again, just my humble opinion...good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.