AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sprucing up my home theater and I could use some advice. Ive decided to add risers for the stadium seating look. Im concerned about proper placement of my risers using transducers. My goal is to have the transducers rock my large couch row I have planned for the back of the room. Ive purchase two transducers (Clark Synthesis Gold ST329).

The plan:

My risers basically fill-up the back half of my room snugly wedged against the back and side walls. For orientation purposes, the room is 12 wide, I dont believe depth matters for this thread. What Ive done for stability and acoustics is create a set of two 8 risers, a total of four parts. The bottom risers are 6 x 6 with three joists spaced 16 apart (these two parts are side by side). The top risers are 6 wide x 5 deep, again with three joists spaced 16 apart (these two parts are side by side). The only reason the bottom is deeper than the top is to create a step and provide stability for the top riser. Ive planned for a ½ plywood cover on the bottom and ¾ plywood cover on the top riser. The joists in the center of each top riser will contain a transducer. All will be carpeted with a plush carpet. Hopefully that paints the picture (if not, Ive attached a crude drawing in pdf).

Im using screws and silicone to put the wood frame together.

The Questions:

1) Currently, the plan will have the bottom risers completely secured to the base floor to prevent moving. However, Ive wondered if I shouldnt have it float on isolation feet or some other material. However, the thought also crossed my mind, why not have just the top riser float since that is the riser that will have seating. The latter makes sense to me since the top risers is the only riser that needs to move. Would you agree with this approach and what readily available dampening material or hardware would be optimal to allow for floating the riser?

2) The risers are planned to be wedged into the 12 wide space, leaving no room for movement. My concern is vibration and Ive been encouraged to isolate the risers from all surfaces. What would be the appropriate measurement to allow for enough movement of the risers without touching the walls? I was thinking no more than 1/8, should it be more? Again, I plan to only isolate the top riser since thats where the seating will be. However, should I also isolate the bottom riser given the transducer will likely affect both the top and bottom risers?

3) The top riser is really two smaller 6 wide units combined to make one 12 wide riser. I will probably need to put some material in between both parts to ensure vibration doesnt cause unwanted sound. I plan to use the same dampening material between the risers. Does anyone see a problem with this approach.

Thats all Ive got for now. Your experience and insight is much appreciated. I may be good with hardware, but Im a relative novice to the home theater digs. Thanks for your help.

-C

Visio.pdf 23.294921875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After 80+ views of my thread, I'm suprised no one is willing to take on my questions. It's been over two weeks and no one has any ideas? Here I think the collective brains on this board would be able to assist without any problems -- I guess I should look elsewhere.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.