AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I have been out of the AV Scene for a number of years as I sold all my stuff years ago. I am starting again on a very limited budget. I know it is not mind blowing stuff but my speakers are the the Defintive Technology ProCinema 100 Centre & ProCinema 80 Speakers with a Martin Logan Dynamo 700 Subwoofer (I can upgrade later when the situation allows). I have not got a AVR yet.

My room size is W4m x D3m x H2.4m & there is a loft above. The seating/listening position is right up against the back wall & due to the room door, the standard rear surrounds are placed up high at the wall/ceiling corners pointing down slightly towards the listening position.

I will soon be having 300mm of insulation installed in my loft to comply with building regulations which will then be boarded up. Due to this, I realistically only have this opportunity to install Atmos speakers so will need to run the speaker cables to the correct positions. I plan on using small satellite speakers (probably something like the Boston Acoustic Soundware XS-SE for the time being) on the ceiling as opposed to in ceiling.

Now I am a little thick about these things & have a bit of a hard time understanding Atmos requirements - the Dolby website does not provide any Atmos speaker placement with regards to Atmos locations where the LP is up against a wall & where the rear surrounds are placed high up at the wall/ceiling corners that I could find & as my room constraints dictate.

I am hoping for a 5.1.4 set- up & would like to know where in my ceiling I should run the speaker cables to for the 4 Atmos speakers as I am really unsure & I will not be able to change things afterwards. I realise it will not be perfect but am seeking the most ideal Atmos locations as possible.

I have attached an aerial image of my room & would be very grateful if anyone can mark/show on the image where the ideal spots would be to place the Atmos speakers & any other factors I should consider!

Many Kind Thanks!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Front Atmos speakers look straight forward, but for the rears, Dolby wants rear Atmos speakers behind the listening position, or at least for the sound to come from behind the listener.
You may want to consider the following compromised options:
  • Put the rear speakers directly overhead, as far back as possible, and hope for the best.
  • Put angled speakers and aim them at the rear wall so the sound reflects a bit and comes back to the user.
  • Actually cut into the wall and use the cavity to get space behind the listener. If you're already hiring carpenters/contractors to board up the loft, this would be a minor additional piece of work.
  • You can carry that to the extreme and actually take space from the room behind the listening position to place the speakers properly. It wouldn't be a lot of room, and it would only have to be near the ceiling, like a soffit for ductwork.
I am hoping for a 5.1.4 set- up & would like to know where in my ceiling I should run the speaker cables to for the 4 Atmos speakers as I am really unsure & I will not be able to change things afterwards. I realise it will not be perfect but am seeking the most ideal Atmos locations as possible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts