AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay. I am obtaining the use of an Infocus LP350 and want to set it up on a temp basis at home. I have a SONY VAIO that has a nvidia card with DVI output. I want to utilize this and the DVD player in the PC for video (I hear this is a superior setup).

For Audio, I need to be able to send the digital out to my Denon 3801. So I need a new sound card capable of digital out for DTS and DD signals, right ?

What do ppl use ? I unknowlingly checked out Creative labs website and saw they had a 5.1 capable card, but after reading some posts, I see CL are not favorable.

I would like to just use a single optical cable from the PC for audio.

Also, should I get some new DVD software to play the movies ? I have been just using the stock software installed on my VAIO, and its not one of the major ones - powerDVD or WinDVD.

-alex

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump.

okay. I see the Zoltrix nightengale pro 6 may do the job....if I understand correctly, it will pass the digital signal through a optical cable to my Denon 3801 which will decode it into AC-3 or DTS (whichever is being output)....correct ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96, which has coax digital input/output. They also make the DiO 2448, which uses toslink digital input/output. And everyone seems to be drooling about the upcoming M-Audio Delta Theatre card here .

I think you can use any of these cards to send digital signals to your receiver. The real issue is configuring software to send the DTS and DD out. (Not that this is hard, but the card is pretty much a no-brainer.) Check out the M-Audio site.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I recommend the M-Audiophile 24/96. I have the card in my HTPC and I have the SPDif running straight to my Denon 3801. I get the full DTS signal to my Denon (depending on DVD). I currently use WinDVD (DTS version), and it works great.

I highly recommend this card.

Nav

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What exactly is the SPDIF ? Is it a optical out, coax or something else ? Do you need that SPDIF converter thingy ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Fortissomo does AC-97 and DTS passthrough via the optical out to your receiver for decoding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.