AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the purchase of a HT-S6300 for my husband for Christmas. Our house has no new technology in it. I have an old Onkyo stereo that is 20 years old, we don't have cable or satelite, and our DVD player died a month ago and we still haven't replaced it.

That being said my husband has talked about surround sound for a couple years and thought I would surprise him. I've done some research and the HT-S6300 sounds like it might be something we could grow into and there is a lot of talk around it's capability to do analog to HDMI and since my stuff is all older, I thought this would be important. Or do you think that this is overkill for my environment and should step down to the S3300? It is going is a decent sized family room and think the S330 would be fine.

Other questions:

How do I purchase something to make the speakers wireless, I can't run cables on the floor or through the ceiling.

If I do something wireless will it cause problems with my wireless network in the house?

Do you recommend a middle of the road DVD player to be purchased with it?

I planned to use the IPod cradle but read feedback that some don't work well, is there a better alternative?

We do have a Wii connected to a different TV in the house, is there a way to use that on the house network to show netflix movies on the TV that will be connected to the home theater system?

Thank you in advance for any advice,

hritz

·
Registered
13 Posts
This thread should definitely go to Home Theater in a Box (HTiB) forum, but I'll answer as best I can.

If this is your husband's first surround sound system, I'd just go for the 5300 or the 3300 and use the extra money on a blu-ray player with built-in wireless that can stream netfix (this can play dvds too and should run about $100). Streaming netflix from your wii in another room wouldn't work unless you ran cables from your wii to your tv.

Since the only video component you seem to have is going to be your dvd/blu-ray player, the analog to HDMI feature doesn't seem important (unless you're still watching a lot of VHS tapes).

Don't know much about wireless, but I'd do a google search for rocketfish - I saw a two speaker set for $70. Of course, you'd need two of these if you wanted to use all 7 speakers from your HTiB. This won't interfere with your home wireless network.

Go to monoprice.com to buy cables (you'll want 16 guage speaker cable for the speakers and two hdmi cables for the receiver to tv and the blu-ray player to the receiver).

Good luck - i think he'll really like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hritz
I am considering the purchase of a HT-S6300 for my husband for Christmas. Our house has no new technology in it. I have an old Onkyo stereo that is 20 years old, we don't have cable or satelite, and our DVD player died a month ago and we still haven't replaced it.

That being said my husband has talked about surround sound for a couple years and thought I would surprise him. I've done some research and the HT-S6300 sounds like it might be something we could grow into and there is a lot of talk around it's capability to do analog to HDMI and since my stuff is all older, I thought this would be important. Or do you think that this is overkill for my environment and should step down to the S3300? It is going is a decent sized family room and think the S330 would be fine.

Other questions:

How do I purchase something to make the speakers wireless, I can't run cables on the floor or through the ceiling.

If I do something wireless will it cause problems with my wireless network in the house?

Do you recommend a middle of the road DVD player to be purchased with it?

I planned to use the IPod cradle but read feedback that some don't work well, is there a better alternative?

We do have a Wii connected to a different TV in the house, is there a way to use that on the house network to show netflix movies on the TV that will be connected to the home theater system?

Thank you in advance for any advice,

hritz

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looking at the same system. I see it's at newegg for $499 (+tax for me) & free ship. But I'm curious how this compares to the Denon with the Boston Acoustics setup DHT-591BA.

How is quality control for each? AQ? IQ for the processing..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You don't mention type and capability of your display (the TV).

If your TV is an HD model with HDMI inputs then the type and quality of your DVD player can be VERY important relative to the quality of your screen image when watching standard definition dvds.

If the TV will accept HDMI then your BR/DVD player can provide up conversion to your standard dvd content which will make a big difference in the screen image quality, sharpness/definition. I watch A LOT of standard def DVD stuff and my up converting DVD player inputs a very acceptable up converted near HD image even when stretched across a 120 in diagonal projection screen.

If you're watching Over The Air television then you can take advantage of the free OTA HD if your TV has a digital tuner for the tv antenna input.

I like to use our 15 yr old (still kicking) component Onkyo stereo for music and when I want LOUD TV or movie audio but I combine that with a 10 yr. old Onkyo 5:1 surround when appropriate.

Wires can be run along a ceiling edge or floor baseboards and you can hide them pretty well in flexible wiring run conduits that can be found in "designer" colors.

Hope my 2 cents adds something to your thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts