AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just wanted some advice on some setups I want to do for my room.. I just recently upgraded to a Samsung LN40A530 from a tube tv.. and want to hook up a budget surround sound system to it

My Current setup is:

Samsung LN40A530

Scientific Atlanta 8300HD (HDMI to TV)

Playstation 3 (HDMI to TV)

XBOX 360 (VGA to TV and Audio to Receiver)

Toshiba DVD Player (Audio to Receiver)

I have the analog audio cables running from audio out from the tv into the tv in on my Pioneer Receiver..

Is this what it should look like?

I'm looking to purchase a surround sound speaker set.. but is my current outdated receiver good enough to power speakers I would buy today?

What speaker packages would any of you guys recommend under 400?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
"outdated" receiver ?? which Pioneer model ??

some info on your preferences....room size, speaker size, towers or bookshelve units, etc. $400 budget is for "speakers only" or "speakers & receiver" ?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/15551277

"outdated" receiver ?? which Pioneer model ??

some info on your preferences....room size, speaker size, towers or bookshelve units, etc. $400 budget is for "speakers only" or "speakers & receiver" ?

Yep, this is needed info to provide any useful advice. Also, what speakers (if any) do you have now?

You really want all of your audio going from the devices directly to the receiver NOT through the TV.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about that, I didnt notice that I didnt include my receiver model number..

I'm using a Pioneer VSX-516 Receiver..

How would I be able to get audio straight to the receiver from my Digital Cable Box and PS3 through HDMI if I dont have HDMI ports on my receiver?

Also, I'm looking for a whole surround sound set similar to a home theatre in a box, but without the receiver that usually comes in that package..

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Your receiver has 3 digital audio inputs. You can use one each for your PS3, cable and xBox.

You can hook up your DVD via one of the RCA inputs if you want. But why do you not use the PS3 for your DVDs? It upconverts pretty well.

Your budget for 5.1 speakers is not very high. You can either get a 5.1 that you will want to upgrade in the near future, or buy a 2.1 or 3.0 system now and add as you can afford.

For 5.1 systems , $400 look for other threads here, but an example is

Energy Take 5.2 for wwstereo

Polk RM705 from Vanns

Boston Acoustics MCS130 from OneCall , this one is a $900 system on sale

JBL CS480BG from Amazon

If you go the build route, you probably want 2.0 to start. Look at the PA-120 sub ($240) leaving $160 for a pair of speakers. Make sure you choose something that will be around so you can get the matching centre later.

Lots more choices if you up your budget by $100 or so.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice!

This set up is for my bedroom at the size of around 12 x 12 feet.. which isnt all that big..

Regarding the digital input.. the only digital one i see is the CD Optical Input.. where are the other 2 you're talking about? Pardon my knowledge. I haven't really set up one of these things before..

As for the XBOX and Cable.. what connection would i use to make it digital?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
According to the brochure at this link it has three digital in, 2 coaxial and one optical.

I don't know what digital out options you have on the PS3, cable or xBox; hopefully between them you can use the 2 coax and 1 optical (worst case is all three need optical, although you can buy toslink-to-coax converters for not too much).

By the way, the link I gave for the Energy Take 5.2 was their Amazon site and it didn't have the sub.

Go to www.wwstereo.com to check out the Take 5.2 speakers and ESW-8 sub for a total of $400. All the choices are showed are decent; if you can you should hear some somewhere and choose.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So my situation I need 3 optical cables.. TV, PS3 and Digital Cable Box.. And I have 1 optical and 2 digital coaxial..

Which devices and cables would I need from monoprice.com in order to convert my optical into digital coxial without loss of signal quality?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
 Here is an example of a Toslink to coax converter.

Are all of your devices optical out, or do any of them have coax out?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks rick for the suggestions..

My PS3 only has optical out.. My digital cable box has both I believe and my TV has analog and optical.. So I may have to convert my PS3 or tv to coaxial.. and run my digital cable box straight coaxial..

I think I've got a hang of what to do now.. Finally last question.. What kind of cable is the digital coaxial cable? Is it a regular rca cable? or is it a special cable?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01s0uljah /forum/post/15574689

Thanks rick for the suggestions..

My PS3 only has optical out.. My digital cable box has both I believe and my TV has analog and optical.. So I may have to convert my PS3 or tv to coaxial.. and run my digital cable box straight coaxial..

Not sure why you mention the TV, you only should have 1 IN to the TV from the receiver and no OUTs.

You will hook all of your devices (8300, PS3, xBox) audio to receiver and video to TV; I did not include the old DVD player, give it away and play your DVDs through the PS3 as it will do the best upconversion.

So hook the PS3 up with optical, the 8300 with coax and then look at what is possible with the xBox.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have no idea why i mentioned my tv. I recently came from basic cable.. so I was assumiing that the sound had to be drawn fromI the coxial..

I tried the digital coaxial cable that came with my digital box and ran it to the receiver to compare the quality.. For some reason... the analog sounds louder and clearer... Im still using a 2.0 set up as of now..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts