AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 years of lurking, planning, wishing, saving, hoping,ect. it is time to put the mad dash on completing my dream. I started the finishing of this portion of the basement a couple months ago, and have decided its time to start a thread.

Here is my plan.....

After many changes is equipment I have settled on this fine list....

3 JTR Quintuples (L-R-C)

4 JTR Slanted 8's for surround duty

JTR Captivator powered

3 Emotiva UPA-1's to run L-R-C

Emotiva XPA-5 for surround duty

Marantz AV7005 pre/pro

Oppo 93

DirecTv Dvr

Xbox 360

Seymour 132" wide AT 2.40 screen

JVC X3 projector

Now on to the current pictures of where I am in the build....

View from 12'...

View from 18', the back of row 2 and start of bar area.....

Audio rack without smoked glass that is still waiting purchase

Audio rack from behind....

Down firing sconce for the columns.....

View from the screen....

Another view from the screen...

False wall....

My goal, as hard and far from the realm of possibilities as it may be, is to be watching the Super Bowl down here with family and friends come February. Now back to building! Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
683 Posts
"My goal, as hard and far from the realm of possibilities as it may be, is to be watching the Super Bowl down here with family and friends come February. Now back to building! Thanks for looking!"

That is quite a goal. Good luck. I'll be watching for your progress.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
This years Super Bowl?? That would be a first around here. As a back up plan, you could always shoot for March Madness, or the NBA finals, or the World Series..........

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah....it will be tough to meet the deadline for sure! I think the bathroom, bedroom, and bar area will come last in order to make sure the theater gets done

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am covering it in

ATS Acoustics Rigid Fiberglass Board

I am also going to cut the typical triangles to stack in the corners, but the water line is going to cause an issue on one side. Either with have to turn into a sculptor and custom fit each piece around it, or just make smaller ones in that corner. I then plan to cover it with a black material to avoid issues through the screen.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Looks like a great project micromax! Also looks like we have a lot of the same gear - I have the Marantz AV7005, XPA-5 (will grab 2 UPA-1's or an XPA-2 when my room is ready), and am waiting on the Oppo 93 as well. Do you already have the Marantz or are you still waiting for it? I think it's a pretty cool piece!

Looks like you are a bit further on than me construction-wise - I am just about to start framing. What are your sound isolation goals?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/19583155

That board behind the screen has to be black...and if it is more than 3 pcf and less than 2"....

This is what they say about this board on their website....

"This is ATS Acoustics brand 3-pound rigid fiberglass acoustical board in a case of 6 24 x 48 x 2 inch pieces. We're excited to offer our own brand of this popular acoustical material with identical quality at a cost savings to you.

This rigid fiberglass material is an exact substitute for Owens Corning 703. Sound absorption, density, appearance, and physical properties are virtually identical. The only differences are: 1) this material is slightly lighter in color than 703, and 2) it is somewhat softer, that is it compresses somewhat more easily than 703."

I went with it b/c of the slight cost savings over the OC 703 that I see a lot of other builds use.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji /forum/post/19583248

Looks like a great project micromax! Also looks like we have a lot of the same gear - I have the Marantz AV7005, XPA-5 (will grab 2 UPA-1's or an XPA-2 when my room is ready), and am waiting on the Oppo 93 as well. Do you already have the Marantz or are you still waiting for it? I think it's a pretty cool piece!

Looks like you are a bit further on than me construction-wise - I am just about to start framing. What are your sound isolation goals?

I don't have the Marantz yet, but should have it soon.....2 weeks. The amps are here tomorrow, so it looks like my Integra 7.8 will no longer be using it's own power till the 7005 gets here

Originally I was going the clip/hat channel route with DD and green glue. That was scrapped for cost savings once we heard the news of a little girl arriving by stork in April

Now I am going DD and green glue without the clips/hat channel knowing the results will suffer.

As far as the rest of the room is concerned, I plan on reflection point panels made from the board shown above on the ceiling and side walls. The far back wall, where the bar will be is going to need some absorption as well, so I may do that whole wall and cover with GOM 703.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Christmas came early!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been working hard on the basement and have the time for an update.....

The whole house drain is just to the right of the fan in this picture. A drain will be dug into the concrete from this point back to the wall opposite the theater screen. To be completed tomorrow. It will then be boxed in to mimic the others.

Sooooo.......as you can see, the drywall is up! I have enlisted the help of a group of guys who I work with in my real job (Real Estate) to help ease some of the pain
The final sanding should be completed tomorrow morning. The drain for the back bar area sink will be dug tomorrow. Once that is done, I am hoping to begin painting the ceiling black on Friday! I then will have my riser (the 2x10's on the floor) to build along with the theater bar.

A side note on being able to have this all done by the Super Bowl.....the RS40 is hopefully to be here in time. My theater chairs from Roman will be here the last week of Jan. My Seymour screen material should be here by Friday to build. My carpet guy is coming over Sunday to measure and help us pick out the nap. Phew...this has been a very busy task to even attempt to complete, but if I can keep it up, we may just be watching the Super Bowl like I had envisioned 5 years ago

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Looking good! I like the layout, with the peek-a-boo bar stools looking into the theater, card table behind, the bar behind that, and a bedroom for the drunk friend to sleep it off right next to it!

Are the cutouts at the top of the columns for the surrounds? Is that how JTR recommends mounting the Slanted 8s, not familiar with them?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/19817556

Are the cutouts at the top of the columns for the surrounds? Is that how JTR recommends mounting the Slanted 8s, not familiar with them?

Yes. I had them installed in their holes previously, but the drywalling forced me to take them out for the time being. Instead of using the mounting brackets on the back of the speakers, I am going to hide them partially in the holes to lessen their visual impact on the room. I think only the slant being exposed will be a cool look.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Nice build, you have a great space to work with. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 /forum/post/19822156

Nice build, you have a great space to work with. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Oman! My chocolate GOM for sound panels showed up today. The black GOM for the screen wall should be here later today or tomorrow I suspect. Looks like I need to figure out my velcro situation soon

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,142 Posts
Great space and it is coming together nicely. You are not the first and I'm not quite sure where the logic of finishing a room except behind the false screen wall comes from. It seems to me that while you are making all the mess and have all the equipment out you would go ahead and frame, insulate and drywall that front wall. Deciding later that you may want to re-purpose the space will be a *****.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To be honest, I never put a lot of thought into that wall other than knowing it will be covered in OC703 and wrapped in black GOM. I suppose I could have framed and drywalled it, but I guess I never considered the space being anything but a theater after going through all this effort. My water meter in the corner would be very close to hitting a wall if I had decided to build out that area. Certainly not the reason for me not doing it, but just a thought.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,142 Posts
I'm sure your local building code requires a certain R value and vapor barrier for outside perimeter walls in finished basement spaces. I doubt your material meets those requirements. Not a big deal unless you get ready to sell your house and an inspector takes a peak at that wall and points out the defect to the buyers.

The comment from Dennis earlier in your thread was a tip that you will be committing some kind of acoustical mistake but I'm not smart enough to know what.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I wasn't real sure what Dennis was saying either, but I assumed much as you that I was doing something wrong. I planned on doing the OC703 wrapped in black GOM based on other previous builds (I forget the exact examples, it has been a while). I guess if worst comes to worst in the future, and I am forced to finish that one wall, I will. Until then I guess I am taking the easy way out and going to leave it as is

1 - 20 of 38 Posts