Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Soon I will be purchasing a Dayton 15" DVC to use as a subwoofer..

Anyway, my processor crosses over the sub at 100 hertz and I'd like to cross it over lower for music.

Now, I need an external crossover.

I've actually successfully applied one of these http://www.store4men.com/images/Boss/10x.jpg

to my system. It's a car sub crossover and it let's me crossover sound down to 50 hertz, by letting me go from processor to crossover then to my subwoofers amplifier.

But, I sold mine.

Is it possible to use a stereo crossover like this to use for my subwoofer, and just use one channel?
http://auction4.comton.com/member/scarface/dbx223.jpeg

What should I do guys?

If you guys can suggest any product, that'd be great, but I have to keep it under $50 or so. So, I guess Ebay would be the best.

I love Ebay!

Thanks,

Nathan

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you make the cutoff frequency lower after it leaves your amp, your main speakers still will only go down to 100hz and you will miss whatever sounds are in between that point and the point at which you set the external crossover. Although the gap between 50hz and 100hz isn't huge, you will probably notice it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohhh....

But, what If I l listen in stereo?

Will my processor still send everything thats 100 hertz and lower to the sub?

I would just like to mention that this would be for music, for HT, I'd still be crossed over at 100 hertz.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there anyway to bypass my internal x-over?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait... If I set the main speakers to LARGE, they will be getting EVERYTHING, correct?

Then, I could use a sub too, with them set to Large and cross the sobwoofer over at 50 or so hertz. Correct?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
904 Posts
If your receiver is set with your mains as large, then you can take the speaker level output from the receiver and route it through the subwoofer to the main speakers, using the x-over in the sub only.

Does you sub have speaker-level inputs for this purpose? If not, I don't know how you can eliminate this problem.

What are you using for a receiver? If your receiver has 5.1 pre-outs, you could get an amp and put the x-overs between the receiver and the amp and set all speakers to large, using the outboard x-over (like an Outlaw ICBM) instead of the ones in your receiver. That way you'll probably enjoy better sound (from the outboard amps) and get the flexible crossover you need. (of course it will cost more, but hey...)

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jakehall
Does you sub have speaker-level inputs for this purpose? If not, I don't know how you can eliminate this problem.
If the receiver has a subwoofer=both setting, you can use that. That's what I do, with 5 speakers set to "large", sub line input connected to receiver's sub out, and sub crossover set to 55Hz. (It's possible the LFE channel from 55-120Hz is not played, with this arrangement.)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to get a Pioneer 811 for Christmas, and that has pre-outs.

But sorry Jake, I guess I'm missing soemthing, I don't quite understand it.

Can you rephrase it so my un-evolved mind can comprehend?

Thanks.

Will my first way work: Setting the mains to Large and putting an x-over between me processor and subwoofer amplifer?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now, I'm looking at Gregg's post..

Do you mean: "Speaker + Mains" setting?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanP
Now, I'm looking at Gregg's post..

Do you mean: "Speaker + Mains" setting?
I don't know just what that is. I'm referring to a receiver setting which combines signals going to the 5 non-sub speakers and the LFE channel and sends that combined signal to the sub line output, regardless of "large"/"small" settings. This is called "plus" on my receiver and is called "both" on some receivers, as I undertand it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
If you do use the speakers + mains setting, you will not be relieving your amp or speakers of the bass duty, so you won't get the full benefit of having a powered sub. Most people agree that when you pull the bass out of the mains and off the main amp, you end up with better mid/high range than when they're trying to play everything.

Many subs have speaker-level inputs and outputs, so you could set your mains to "Large" and wire the speaker wire to the sub and from the sub to your mains. This would take advantage of the sub's internal variable x-over. I'm not familiar with your sub, so i don't know if this would work for you.

the ultimate solution is to take bass management out of the receiver entirely, but this would involve getting outboard amps and a bass manager like the ICBM. this "solution" would end up costing a bunch more than the new receiver you're getting, but you'd also end out with better sound.

Are you certain this receiver is what you want for christmas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.