AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house has a huge living room 23w 17d 16h and the only thing i have going for me is that the ceiling is wood. I am looking at the Empire or VTF-3 MK4 which one should i go with for and is there another option out there that i dont know about. I dont want to get over 900 for a sub but i want to fill the room. 80% ht 20% music

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
6000 cubic feet, $900,....tough one.

Quote:
I dont want to get over 900 for a sub but i want to fill the room
I'm not sure what your definition of "filling the room" is, but sitting relatively near-field will get you a elevated tactile sense, higher SPL, ruler smooth response. Filling the room isn't happening with a commercial offering.

DIY, one could get a (4)18" IB, powered by an EP4K, and for about $1200. Even that would be stressed to it's limits being asked to fill that many cubes, into the bottom octaves.

Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess what im looking for is bass that i wont be able to tell where it is in the room and when im watching a movie i get the feel of it in my chest. I can put the sub near field behind my cough, or am i just S.O.L. unless i step up to some high end subs

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcinlr
start thinking of pairs of high end subs.

Bill c
ouch!!!

So one empire wont give me the effect that i am looking for with out having to add another one? I know i wont get loud with the space i have but will i get the rumble?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Pair of THTs or F-20s (both DIY) - but they aren't exactly "living room friendly".

·
Banned
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober35
ouch!!!

So one empire wont give me the effect that i am looking for with out having to add another one? I know i wont get loud with the space i have but will i get the rumble?
You need output for that room. A Rythmik FV15 or Hsu VTF-15H will have more output than a Empire. You can start with one and add as needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan
You need output for that room. A Rythmik FV15 or Hsu VTF-15H will have more output than a Empire. You can start with one and add as needed.
Out of the 2 which one would give a harder punch i would think it would be the VTF-15H but i just dont know.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Quote:
My house has a huge living room 23w 17d 16h and the only thing i have going for me is that the ceiling is wood. I am looking at the Empire or VTF-3 MK4 which one should i go with for and is there another option out there that i dont know about. I dont want to get over 900 for a sub but i want to fill the room. 80% ht 20% music
Out of curioisty what makes you state the only thing you have going for you is wood? Is there some hidden benefit to this? I have often wondered what difference it would make whether you had wood/drywall/concrete/other.

I'm curious as I live in a log cabin and my entire room is wood, both ceiling and walls.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:
Out of the 2 which one would give a harder punch i would think it would be the VTF-15H but i just dont know.
I have the VTF-15H in a room that is close to 20,000 CF. I got it knowing I would need to get at least one more in the future, but to be honest it performs better than I expected it to. I don't have any measurements (yet) so I can't speculate how low it is reaching but you can feel it in your seat sitting 40 feet away in a different room. It rattles dishes that are 60 ft away and depending on how close you sit to it, the sub will give you that chest thump you are looking for. I will get another, once I can afford it and talk the wife into it, but for now I am very pleased. I can't speak to the other choices having never heard them but the HSU would be my choice, for the price I think it is hard to beat unless you DIY IMHO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uni_panther
20,000 CF? That is a huge room. I thought I had a "large" room and mine is 24x24 with a 12 ft vaulted ceiling. You have an auditorium with that type of cubic feet.
Yeah, I forget the actual measurements but it makes a big L. The main floor is completely wide open with the small part of the room at about 24x18x12 and the larger part of the L at about 24x40 with ceilings that start at 14 and crest at 24ft. Plus a couple open hallways and an open stairway with another large open hallway to the bed rooms.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVA990US
Yeah, I forget the actual measurements but it makes a big L. The main floor is completely wide open with the small part of the room at about 24x18x12 and the larger part of the L at about 24x40 with ceilings that start at 14 and crest at 24ft. Plus a couple open hallways and an open stairway with another large open hallway to the bed rooms.
Love the idea of that much space, but not filling it for audio. That certainly is a lot of air to fill.

·
Registered
31,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober35 /forum/post/20792077

I dont want to get over 900 for a sub but i want to fill the room.

Why would you want to fill the entire room? I mean, it's not like you'll be sitting everywhere simultaneously. Instead just get good bass at the important seats. If your budget doesn't allow for multiple large subwoofers, then nearfield bass may help. Short of sitting on the sub itself, try placing it directly behind your couch. If you can stretch the budget to include a couple of good subs, try placing them at either end of the couch, which may further help even out the bass across the seating area.

·
Registered
Klipsch Heritage, Danley subs, Emotiva, Epson 5050
5,145 Posts
I have the same cubic footage. One DTS10 will fill it nicely. I have two only to cover more seating positions. One did a nice job though.

Unless you're willing to go ALL the way, then I think it's wise advice to place a sub for good performance in your main seating position only.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Go for the VTF 15 the owners are very happy with this sub.

Seems alot of the Rythmik owners seem to buy the sealed rythmiks instead.

I wonder why there are not as many FV-15 owners compared to the sealed.

You would think that after the shootout more people would flock to the FV-15 just like the VTF-15 as both did great for HT and music.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.