AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall I am completely overwhelmed with all the choices for the sound setup to go with my pany 50PH9UK. I would like to stay around $800 for the setup and not really interested in HTIB and I really like the Yamaha recievers. I would like to have an all black to match the TV and wall mount speakers. I plan on using 90% TV and 10% music. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Of course, I don't know exactly how much you spent, but you must have spent $2k or so for that Panny. Having an $800 budget for the sound seems inadequate.

Many HT enthusiasts (including me obviously
) see the audio investment being at least equal to the video one, and as you move up the ladder, costing more than the video equipment.

I understand you might have shot your wad on the flat screen and don't have a lot left. In that case, you could think about spending your $800 on a better front right-center-left set up or even a front right-left set up. Then you can add a center channel, sub, and surrounds later.

If I had a budget of $800, I'd get the best receiver and front main speakers I could, then use the phantom center setting on the receiver until I could afford a matching center. After the center, then I'd probably get the sub, and finally the matching surrounds.

If you spend $200 on the receiver, I assure you, two really good speakers for $600 will sound much better than five below-average speakers and a sub for $600. You'll have to be patient to build your system as you get the money, but at least you won't be thinking all the time that you wasted your money and have to start over because your inexpensive 5.1 system sounds like crap.

(In fact, if I were in your situation, I'd be looking at the used market to score some outstanding speakers at significant savings.)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree with filecat13.

I know it's hard to be patient and you want that 5.1 right now! But take it from an impatient person(me), you will probably regret trying to stretch that $800 to get all of your audio equipment RIGHT NOW, sometime in the future...

If good sound is important to you I would listen around and get 1 pair of speakers that you fall in love with that are in your price range. Try to listen to as many as possible and bring some of your music or even dvds, this is crucial.

Don't listen to stuff way out of your range!

Make sure you can also buy a reciever that can power your speakers properly and does 5.1 since you may be getting more speakers in the future.

After that.

I would get a sub.

And then either the surrounds or the center.

I personally don't like centers buy you may find that you want one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.