AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked around a little yesterday. Stores like amazon and walmart now list the 5000 models as discontinued. I think buy.com is the only major retailer showing availability.

I'm considering adding a second unit. Is it now or never?

Also, the $50 of rebate ends today.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I decided to not take the chance and ordered my 2nd 5xxx last night. Of course, now I have to sell my 3040 as part of the agreement with the fiancé. BUt now I can watch from either Replay, which has me really excited.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry123
5000 are available on radioshack too.
the shack does show them as available but at $249. buy.com has the best price though at $199.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffwa
I decided to not take the chance and ordered my 2nd 5xxx last night. Of course, now I have to sell my 3040 as part of the agreement with the fiancé. BUt now I can watch from either Replay, which has me really excited.
for now, I plan on ordering one later this evening. that way, if they drop in price or something i can cancel the order before it ships.

the fact that IVS and myreplaytv are still down is a little scary though.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by frogster
the fact that IVS and myreplaytv are still down is a little scary though.
I would be a little nervous, but I've never used IVS, and I haven't used my.replaytv.com for my 5060 ever. I used to use it for my 3040, but since it's not available for same day recordings (and that's when I usually remember to record something new or random) it's been going untouched for months.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffwa
I would be a little nervous, but I've never used IVS, and I haven't used my.replaytv.com for my 5060 ever. I used to use it for my 3040, but since it's not available for same day recordings (and that's when I usually remember to record something new or random) it's been going untouched for months.
unfortunately, it sounds like you need IVS even to transfer shows between replay units in your home.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
unfortunately, it sounds like you need IVS even to transfer shows between replay units in your home.
To actually permanently copy a show from ReplayTV #1 to #2? Yes.

To *stream* a show from #1 to #2? Absolutely not.

I can't really see a need to actually copy from one to the other. Just stream and watch it when you want to. If lack of hard drive space on one unit is the issue, buy a larger hard drive or use DVArchive.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
To transfer the entire file yes, but to stream no.

I stream from my bedroom unit to my family room unit pretty much everyday. I also stream from DVArchive, but less often.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
the shack does show them as available but at $249. buy.com has the best price though at $199.
They're available from Replay for $399 with activation included, after rebate. ($450 - $50 - $250 activation= $150).

That's the same as the buy.com price, I believe. And you can get free shipping from Replay if you use one of the Refer-a-friend links.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jleavens
They're available from Replay for $399 with activation included, after rebate. ($450 - $50 - $250 activation= $150).

That's the same as the buy.com price, I believe. And you can get free shipping from Replay if you use one of the Refer-a-friend links.
I think that shipping is free on the activated 5040 regardless of whether you use "refer a friend" or not, but I'd be more than happy to send someone my link ;). I ordered one from Replay last week (referred myself:D) and got it yesterday (UPS attempted delivery Friday, but I wasn't there to get it).

OT - Justin, why don't you have the url for the replay FAQ as a link in your sig? It's easy enough to copy/paste it, but I had to ask.

Edit - had to fix a non-working ":D" (forgot to shift the ';')

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
I don't think sig text turn into links automatically, the way 'body' content does. I noticed that a while back on his also...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
there is a $10 off coupon for buy.com that makes it a slightly better deal.

has anyone ordered their unit from replay? buy.com is usually fast, but can be difficult to deal with.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I ordered from the Replay site Tuesday afternoon, 9/23 and it was delivered (actually first attempt was) Friday 9/27. That's pretty decent. I didn't get the unit until yesterday, but that was not their fault.

Let me know if you want a "friend"

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by moeronn
I ordered from the Replay site Tuesday afternoon, 9/23 and it was delivered (actually first attempt was) Friday 9/27. That's pretty decent. I didn't get the unit until yesterday, but that was not their fault.

Let me know if you want a "friend"
I'll probably go with buy.com. but, in case they run out or something, why don't you send me your "friend" info.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I ordered one from buy.com on the 15th and got it on the 22nd. I got the free ground shipping which they also give you the tracking #. I think that giving you a tracking number for a ground shipment is so cruel. I checked it at least twice a day and I watched it crawl from Phoenix, to Las Vegas, to Salt Lake, even slower to Hermiston, then it sat there over the weekend, and finally to Portland on Monday. But I'm glad I got, it works great, only problem is I'm out of town this week and can't use myreplaytv.com.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bajtrax
I ordered one from buy.com on the 15th and got it on the 22nd. I got the free ground shipping which they also give you the tracking #. I think that giving you a tracking number for a ground shipment is so cruel. I checked it at least twice a day and I watched it crawl from Phoenix, to Las Vegas, to Salt Lake, even slower to Hermiston, then it sat there over the weekend, and finally to Portland on Monday. But I'm glad I got, it works great, only problem is I'm out of town this week and can't use myreplaytv.com.
I suggest you check it out thourghly. Use the shipping time to research everything you should test it for.

You will have 2 days or so of free subscription. I wouldn't activiate the unit till you knew all the tests you need to do including but not limited to:

>Checking for channel 6, 44

>checking for dial out modem problems even if you are going to use an internet connection

>check to see if myreplay.com makes your unit crash

>leave it on buffer continuously to see how often it crashes

...etc

theoretically, you could recieve the unit and let a few days pass before activiating it-much harder in practical terms i know-then work on the full list of tests.

THE point being if the thing doesn't work to your satisfaction you can return it and reorder a new one bypassing RMA woes.

if you aren't organized you will run out of subscription time and have to pay $10 for a month to do the same checkups.

just giving you the information if it appeals to you

cow

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow

theoretically, you could recieve the unit and let a few days pass before activiating it-much harder in practical terms i know-then work on the full list of tests.

cow
Errrr....he says it works great. He's already into the the trial period...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.