Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me get the most!!

I think that I have finally finished my HT room for now (I hope so....my wife said it will be 5 years before I get new audio equipment). Now that all of my purchases have been made, and I have included some of my older gear into the mix, I have a couple of questions.

First of all, I will list my equipment and the price I had to pay.... All products were purchased NIB from local authorized retailers:

Toshiba 61a61 analog 61" rptv ($950)

Dishnetwork PVR-508 ($35)

Panasonic s55s DVD ($100)

Hitachi ???? VHS ($400)

Pioneer Elite vsx-45tx receiver ($1200)

Paradigm LCR-350 center channel ($325)

Paradigm Monitor 9v3 fronts ($380 pair)

Paradigm ADP-350 surrounds ($450 pair)

Paradigm pw-2200 subwoofer ($500)

Monster Power HTS-2500 MKII surge protector ($200)

I am quite pleased with my setup considering the money that I paid. Now that I have it all in my house, I have only a couple of questions.

What should I set my cross-over to on my receiver? I have tried both 80hz and 50hz. My impressions differ each time. At 80hz, it seems like my subwoofer is a little more localized. This may be due to placement....as I'll ask about later. At 50hz, it becomes less localized, but I seem to lose a little impact. What do most of y'all set your x-over at?

Sub placement: I have been forced to place it at the end of my sectional sofa for now. I am going to be building custom case-work for my gear as soon as football season ends. I could then move the sub to the front of the room, but I will have some space constraints. At present I have a huge entertainment center that dominates my front wall, there is absolutely no room for the sub there now. If placement isn't a huge concern, I would be better off leaving it where it is. However, If having it at the front will make an improvement, I will make the modification to my design.

Subwoofer phase control: what exactly does this do, and where should it be set? It is variable from 0-180.

Standing waves and cancellations: how do I detect them, and what can I do about them?

One more question (I had to make an edit). This time about the sub volume level. Should I set the volume on the sub hot and turn down the level at the receiver, or vice-versa? With the sub level at 50% MCACC set the sub to -9. After adjusting the sub level, I got MCACC to set the sub close to 0. Since I've only had this sub for a few hours, I'm not that familiar with it. I'm not sure which way is best as far as sub gain or receiver gain.

Oh, and another question.... Is it better to split the subwoofer-out from my receiver, or just hook up the single cable to the right (mono) input on the sub?

Thanks a bunch for the many who have posted before and those who continue to post. Y'all have been great. I will continue to post any useful information that I can, but I will probably start slowing down and enjoying my HT gear more.

I would like to offer special thanks to: Sushi, WanMan, and MikeRP. Your advice and suggestions went a long way toward getting me started in the first place

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Subwoofer phase control: what exactly does this do, and where should it be set? It is variable from 0-180.
Basically, you set it so your subwoofer "blends" more with your other speakers. If the subwoofer sounds like the beats are off a bit, the phase could need adjustment. Move it incrementally until the sound improves.

·
Registered
333 Posts
As far as the sub goes, it's my understanding that the phase control is mostly only useful if you've got bass frequencies coming from other speakers. But of course just play w/ it and see if it improves. I had a similar problem with YPAO setting my sub level way to low and so just set the gain lower so it would bump up the sub level. What I found was really the culprit, though, was the fact that I didn't let the sub break in before running the auto EQ. After my SVS PB 1 got a workout and the sub got louder, the levels started to be more realistic, but I still keep the gain kinda low on the sub for YPAO. According to my SVS sub manual, it says to raise the gain on the sub before you raise the level on the receiver. That's only a reccomendation for the order to do it in, but also must keep them relative to each other (i.e., not have one too much higher than the other) my interpretation of this may be wrong. As far as placement goes, I first put my sub in the spot I had picked out for it. This morning I took the suggestion to put the sub where you sit and move around the room and see where the bass sounds best and that'll be where the sub should go. It wasn't the best place, but it also wasn't the worse (lukily I got a the ice white sub.) To me it was worth it, because I wasn't losing as much bass in the new location and so therefore was able to keep the gain a little lower and therefore able to keep the rest of the house a little happier. I'm pretty new to mid-fi but this is what my newbie experience taught me over the last few days.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys,

I am definately going to check out sub location a little more. One thing I have not done is let my subwoofer break in. I only purchased it yesterday and it only had about 10 minutes on it before I ran MCACC. I remember that it took my fronts a couple of weeks before they really opened up. Thanks for the replies guys....I'm off to tweak a little more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.