AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we have media server access, how can I copy my DVDs to my hard drive and get access to them from the PS3?

I keep reading people post about .TS files. What are they and do they have anything to do with DVD's?

Also, I have some WMV-HD discs. I'd like to be able to put those into my DVD-ROM drive in the PC and stream them to the PS3 via a media server. Is that possible?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell /forum/post/0

Now that we have media server access, how can I copy my DVDs to my hard drive and get access to them from the PS3?

You rip them using the run-of-the-mill software and store them in your HDD. Those files will be VOB files. Rename them as MPG and you're set. HOWEVER, most DVDs have multiple VOBs. Some are just for trailers and some are the actual movies. You could string the VOBs up into one file but I've never done that.

Quote:
I keep reading people post about .TS files. What are they and do they have anything to do with DVD's?

They are Transport Stream files. Mostly recorded using those HDTV PCI cards and mostly from HDTV feeds. Not sure yet if the PS3 can now playback the 5.1 AC-3 correctly off the .TS files.

Quote:
Also, I have some WMV-HD discs. I'd like to be able to put those into my DVD-ROM drive in the PC and stream them to the PS3 via a media server. Is that possible?

From the update list, I don't think WMV-HD is possible. WMV-HD is predecessor of VC-1 but it's not compatible. So it's anyone's guess if it's going to work.

fuad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.