AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a big collector of Jackie Chan movies and up until today, I have had several region 2 DVDs that I could watch only on the computer. Backing them up as region 1 was not a problem, but the fact that they were PAL was.

Well, I remembered reading about PAL in the Bravo and decided to try once again...so I asked a friend to make a region 1 DVD of my PAL DVD (still in PAL) and using DVI on the Sammy (I did not try component or composite) with the Bravo D1, lo and behold, it worked on the first try! For the first time ever, I can watch those few movies on the BIG screen (46") versus a 20" LCD or 21" CRT!

Now, there is one down-side...my D1 is defective (much like the rest of the world) and a new one is on the way....I can only hope that the replacement will work because that would be awesome to open up acquisitions of region 2 discs! Remember that the D1 can only play all-region or region 0 (and I am not aware of any region-free tweaks for it...are there any?), but it has no problem playing PAL via DVI....something my Pioneer Elite DV-37 (through component or composite) cannot do.

This is very exciting...I just hope to get a working D1 now! Roughly half of my discs fail to load or play regardless of their condition (usually pristine or extremely good). Things like the Matrix and many others fail. But we'll see if Bravo can correct the problem. As advised, I asked for a pre-tested unit, but did not ask for a "new" unit....all that matters to me is if it works.

Also, I checked the firmware in my DLP...I *think* it was something like 3.04 or thereabouts).

Does anyone have comments on the MX-500? If you do like it, is it necessary to get the package often promoted (an all-in-one plus the JP1 cable for another $35 or so to get more discrete codes). If not, what remote do you recommend for about $200 or less?

I have the Sammy DLP HLN467W

Pioneer DV-37 Elite

Bravo D1

Go-Video dual deck4060 (other than the lack of s-video, this is an amazing deck due to a certain feature though it lacks quality)

Denon AVR-3801

Denon DCM-370 CD Changer

and a cheap dual-deck Yamaha KX-W392 cassette player.

All speakers are definitive tech.

I am trying to find a remote that can truly handle it all. Often, I get one that does everything except, say, switching from tv to video (and vice-versa) or bringing up the record screen (for tape), etc.

But I really do hope the Bravo issue is solved for me....the PAL solution is very exciting, indeed!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
rpgoldberg:

I have the MX-500 and just had my board upgrade so I am getting ready to do the JP1 thing (which is how you program the MX-500 if you don't already have a remote control that can send the codes) now that I have the discrete codes for my 507. I really like the MX-500 and it controls my entire system. It is quite a bit cheaper than the MX-700 (or the new MX-800).

My Bravo D1 was returned to V, Inc. and I am awaiting a replacement. Hope it comes soon, the image from our Pioneer DVD player is nowhere as good as the D1...

Now if I only had the DVI switch to change among my DVI inputs (DVI cable box, my Bravo D1, and my computer) :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
rpgoldberg -

Could you tell me more about how you created your PAL region 1 DVD ?

I am from Europe and got plenty of zone 2 DVD that I would LOVE to watch on my Tosh 42h83 using DVI...

Thanks Much !

Frederic

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I got an MX-500 package and it works great for my Sammy (including discrete codes), D1, and other stuff. I really like it. I think the going price is $140 or so for the combo. The learning curve is a bit steep for the JP1 stuff, but I got it working in a few hours.

Some folks have replaced the drive (I think they were calling it a "loader") in the D1 to fix lockup and performance issues. There seemed to be some possibility of region-freeing the player by switching the drive to one with "special" firmware loaded via a PC. I am not sure if anyone tried it or not, and I am not sure we are supposed to talk about it on here.

-Max

·
Registered
916 Posts
rpgoldberg,

Ever consider a VGA cable to the DLP as a solution to your dilema? ;)

As for the MX500, I got the IRClone-MX and a kind soul on this forum just gave me an M5 file with the dicreets already in it...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lmy,

Yes, but only recently as I found out about HTPC....however, at least for MPEG-4, I find my laptop to be too jumpy...haven't tried DVD on it yet, but with a region-free program running on it, that would certainly be an option for viewing PAL.

I decided to opt for an open-box MX-700 as I didn't want to take time to learn all the JP1 conventions, etc.....just too much to do and too little time.

fp,

What one friend supposedly did was to run a region-free program on her pc to ensure the drive wouldn't use one of its 5 lifetime region switches, then reencode the program with something like dvdShrink...after reencoding to select just the tracks you want, you can then selectively recompress. That's one package. Another one for backups is dvdXCopy 1.4 which I think is around $100...that one does no compression, but splits it across two discs. Both, I think, offer the ability to remaster with any region for your backup purposes or to watch a disc you legally own that is otherwise unwatchable on tv. When that person did mine as a test, she used dvdShrink (1.3 or 1.03, I think?) and it worked like a charm. It was remastered for region 1 from regions 2,4, and the one thing I remember was that there was no menu...may have been a mistake on her part. But you could use search to switch to different "menu options". And the movie, which was the first title, played fine. I'm still looking into the purchase of these programs as I want to convert my several region 2 discs for viewing if I do end up keeping a Bravo, but I'm still waiting for my replacement. But that was how she did the conversion. All told, it took about 1 hour to convert and 1 hour to burn with dvdShrink. The cool thing with that program is (1) it lets you keep it to 1 disc and (2) it lets you compress different streams (like the main movie by 25% and a preview by 50%, then delete the chinese 2-speaker track, etc.) I have to find who sells it to buy it though, so I don't know what dvdShrink costs, but I am leaning toward that one.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, does anyone know what mpeg-4 codecs the bravo D1 WILL play? The one I tried didn't work.

Also, does it have to have a certain extension....ie., should it be .avi or should it have .avi and .wav, or should it have .m2v and .m2a?

Thx.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
dvdshrink is free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.