AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problem used to be not enough programming (problem still exists to some extent). However, I am not getting any sleep and I am becomming really annoying to my wife with regards to TV because I want to catch every minute of HDTV programming from HBO, HDnet, CBS, PBS, ABC (once the Boston version fixes their stretched picture), and I even count 16:9 480p 5.1 FOX programming (when WFXT fixes their slimmer than 4:3 wacky signal). I admit that I become an annoying idiot trying to catch it all. I got a TiVo when they first came out, and we got used to its convenience. Now I dont want to miss any HDTV programming and it is tough to get back to watching things when they are live. I really NEED a HDTV capable PVR. I dont even care if it doesnt allow transfer to a VCR or not. Any simple way to time-shift ... even without all the bells and whistles of TiVo would be fine. It is IMPOSSIBLE to watch anything when you have a 2-year-old who goes to bed at 8:30. Anyone else need a HDTV PVR? I tried a "search" but couldnt find any conclusive info here on when they may become available?

------------------

Rick W. Scogland

My Email Address:
[email protected]

My Home Theater:
The Scogland Home Theater

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Come on, DISH, get that 921 out, we need it!!

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It will probably be pretty expensive. The current PVR 501 uses a IDE drive that does a good job on the compressed MPEG2 format. I don't know the actual bandwith numbers for HDTV vs SD, but it will probably require a RAID system just to keep up.

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you want to time-shift OTA High Def programming you should visit the forum on HTPC "Home Theater PC". Using the accessDTV or Hipix card you can record OTA programming on standard IDE drives. It does take 8 gigs per hour but it can be done. Don't expect all the features of a Tivo, but it sure beats missing a program you want to watch.

Ken

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well, between the (still) relatively small market for such a device and the very large amount of storage required for a such a device, the cost will be huge. Are you willing to pay $4000 for such a device?

Oh . . . did I mention the gridlock & FUD of HD digital bitsreams?

I'm such a pessimist these days. (Not surprising in view of current events, the economy, etc.)

·
Registered
196 Posts
The accessDTV card lets you do time-shifted recording, provided you subscribe to their $10 per month program guide. Just click on the program(s) you want to record, and it will be done automatically as long as your PC is on.

Figure about 9 GB of space per 60 minutes of MPEG II data.

The Hauppauge WinTV-HD version 1.9 software lets you record the MPEG datastream it receives in real time - no time-shifting allowed. However, the Hauppague recording is not encrypted, while the accessDTV recordings are (can't be moved from one PC to another).

KC

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong.

It is my understanding that the only way to record HBO, Showtime or PPV HD is with a Dish 5000 + Modulator + HiPix.

OTA HDTV can be recorded with either HiPix or Access.

..Doyle

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DoyleS:

It is my understanding that the only way to record HBO, Showtime or PPV HD is with a Dish 5000 + Modulator + HiPix.

..Doyle

Correct. The 5000 system will also allow recording on a TUDST50/51 and PVHD1000 DVHS system.

There is also a WVHS system that records analog HDTV but the quality is a bit reduced, the unit is $5000, the tape runs $40 and up, and it only has stereo audio.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:

..Doyle

Correction, AccessDTV does 5000/mod. recording as well.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I empathize. I've got a 20 month old who goes to bed around 11pm, and I'm on the west coast! Only way I get to watch a HD movie is during the afternoon nap, late at night, or if it is something acceptible for him to see while he's playing with something else - but he rarely has enough attention span to let me watch the whole thing. I definitely need a PVR (have two dishplayers for ntsc).

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
I love my HiPix and bank of 80gb drives.

I don't watch live HDTV anymore... Just record

it and watch it at a good time.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dagman:
Well, between the (still) relatively small market for such a device and the very large amount of storage required for a such a device, the cost will be huge. Are you willing to pay $4000 for such a device?

Oh . . . did I mention the gridlock & FUD of HD digital bitsreams?

I'm such a pessimist these days. (Not surprising in view of current events, the economy, etc.)
I built one with 600GB (good for about 65 hours of HD) using a WinTV-HD for under $2500. Have tried to build another one with a HiPix, but I can't seem to get it delivered. :-((

/carmi

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I don't have an HDTV or HDTV decoder yet, but I was thinking about this yesterday. I currently have a TiVo, which I love. There's been a lot of talk about how it would require tremendous hard drive space in order to store HD material. People who own and love TiVo's have already had to accept the fact that the quality will be degraded (even on highest mode - I'm talking standalone units, not DirecTiVo's). So, here's what you'll need...

1) An everyday, ordinary standalone TiVo.

2) An HDTV set-top box which will output a 480i anamorphic signal to the S-Video output.

Voila! Now you have 480i (or upconverted progressive) 16:9 recorded material.

Of course, this requires that the set-top boxes output a 480i anamorphic image to the S-Video output. I'm guessing that they don't. I'm guessing that they output a 480i letterboxed image. Is this true? If not, I would think that some manufacturer would be able to modify their existing set-top boxes to do this fairly easily.

Granted, this isn't 1080i HDTV, but upconverted 480i anamorphic (with all the benefits of a TiVo) sounds a lot better than OTA non-HDTV (330 lines?, non-anamorphic) or DirecTiVo (400+ lines, non-anamorphic, with DirecTV's over-compression). Thoughts?

Scott

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
A few months ago, IBM announced a new breakthrough in storage technology media that they called "Pixie Dust". It allows them to quadruple the recording capacity of existing hard drives without any additional cost. We should be seeing 360 GB drives within the next year.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
544 Posts
YES, YES, this is why I am sitting here with my new Hitachi 43" HD-ready TV and not HD. My wife has gotten used to the PVR and I can't convince her to go to the DISH 6000...

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
I've been thinking about that combination in terms of its implications for copy-protection. If and when they turn copy-protection on for movie channels and PPV, what happens to Dish 5000 + modulator? There's no HD analog output to "image constrain" in such a setup--it's just taking the MPEG-2 TS received from the dish and turning it into 8 VSB modulated ATSC. Are they going to just disable HD pay channels on these boxes?

I should have gone into computer security--figuring out where the holes are in these schemes fascinates me. Unfortunately, encryption mathematics is intensely boring.

-- Mike Scott

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I'm about ready to bite the bullet & get one of the PC HDTV cards for OTA recording. After the initial flurry of discussion on the three PC cards, I have not seen any information lately.

Now that they have had time to work out driver issues and add new features, has anyone seen a current analysis comparing AccessDTV, HiPix, and Hauppage?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.