AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for hours yesterday on the net, crawling through loads of forums, archives, dealers pages, vintage sites, antique sites etc and found nothing on my speakers. I did eventually contact an audio professional who knew about them and was very helpful.

So just in case I am not the only person in the world with a set of these I am posting this.

My dad bought a component hi-fi when he was a teenager, and I received it as a hand-me-down gift a few years ago. Everything except the speakers themselves have died now.

The speakers are a pair of Akai SW-T77 speakers (circa 1983)

Specs are as follows:

3-Way Speaker System

Impedance: 8ohms

Maximum Power Input: 80watts

Sensitivity: 90dB/W/m

Driver sizes: Woofer - 250mm (10")

Mid - 77mm (3")

Tweeter - 50mm (2")

I have to say, I have listened to lots of speakers, from el-cheapo sansui's to very expensive, top of the range Bang & Olufsen speakers. I can't say these come anywhere near the B&O speakers, but for little paper cone speakers they sound great, respond well, dont distort much (unless you crank the volume way up) and give excellent bass even by todays standards.

I have attached a few pics. I can upload closeups if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaNova5k /forum/post/15539895

I have to say, I have listened to lots of speakers, from el-cheapo sansui's to very expensive, top of the range Bang & Olufsen speakers.

Don't be dissing Sansui dude!

We had an excellent pair of Sansui speakers along with our Sansui 9090 receiver that we bought in the 70's and which lasted us way into the 90's. Awesome sound!

That's the first "hi-fi" I grew up with and in the followings days of moving out on my own and owning ghetto blasters, micro-systems, HTiBs and finally, "lifestyle" mid-fi monitor speakers with sub, the Sansui has always towered over the other speakers in my life, mocking their blatant inferiority and lack of warmth, and reigned supreme in my consciousness.

I'm now awaiting delivery of a pair of new B&W 802Ds so I think they will no longer be the best speakers I've ever owned (actually they were my parents'), but they will forever be in my memory as my love of music began on those speakers.

Coincidentally, both Sansui and Akai fell on hard times in the 90's, and they are both owned now by the same Hong Kong trading company, Grande Holdings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is true, they were both owned by Grande.

I should have been a bit more specific. Sansui (ye olde) was the bees knees, but Sansui (today) is infamous for cheap and cheerful products.

That is not to say I do not like the brand. I have a Sansui LCD HD tv which I purchased a few months ago. Its a very decent tv for its price bracket. And my father seems to have a fetish for Sansui. I think its coz he believes its a waste of money to buy something if you can get the same size for less (ie why buy a 32" Bravia for R16 000 when you can get a Wharfdale for R7 000?)

·
Registered
3 Posts
[QI AM INTRESTED CONTACT ME IF YOU WANT TO SELL SupaNova5k;15539895]I searched for hours yesterday on the net, crawling through loads of forums, archives, dealers pages, vintage sites, antique sites etc and found nothing on my speakers. I did eventually contact an audio professional who knew about them and was very helpful.

So just in case I am not the only person in the world with a set of these I am posting this.

My dad bought a component hi-fi when he was a teenager, and I received it as a hand-me-down gift a few years ago. Everything except the speakers themselves have died now.

The speakers are a pair of Akai SW-T77 speakers (circa 1983)

Specs are as follows:

3-Way Speaker System

Impedance: 8ohms

Maximum Power Input: 80watts

Sensitivity: 90dB/W/m

Driver sizes: Woofer - 250mm (10")

Mid - 77mm (3")

Tweeter - 50mm (2")

I have to say, I have listened to lots of speakers, from el-cheapo sansui's to very expensive, top of the range Bang & Olufsen speakers. I can't say these come anywhere near the B&O speakers, but for little paper cone speakers they sound great, respond well, dont distort much (unless you crank the volume way up) and give excellent bass even by todays standards.

I have attached a few pics. I can upload closeups if anyone is interested.[/quote]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts