AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NPR had a short piece on HDTV this afternoon. They played some sound bits of Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. salesmen talking to customers. I piece of advise to a customer was that the only way he could get a high def signal was with a DirectTV receiver. The goal of the piece was to simplfy HDTV and the main segment was an interview with the editor of, I believe, "Audio/Video Interiors" magazine. Listeners were left with the impression that digital cable = HDTV. There was no effort to differentiate

standard def and HDTV signals. You were left with the impression that if you had digital cable you had HDTV. I know the goal was to simplify but this was simplification to the point of misinformation. At least that was the impression I got.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by petew
It was almost like NPR was poking fun at digital TV. Mary Ann Giorgio, editor of Audio Video Interiors, gave basically accurate information.
Her infor was basically accurate, but, to me, in trying to simplify things, someone who didn't know better was left with the impression that digital cable was all that was necessary for high def (along with the STB or integrated tuner) and didn't point out that even though HD is digital all digital is not HD. Just thought that could have been a little clearer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was interested in the fact that each time she was asked if you could view digital TV on an analog set, she said "no." This was a problem, to me, as it probably told a lot of people they'd have to plunk down thousands to buy a new TV instead of getting a set top box for now. Then, she confused the matter by neglecting to indicate that DTV was *not* just HD, she simply interchanged the two and made it seem that all digital TV was high definition and that if you didn't have an HD set, you couldn't get DTV.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think NPR needs another feature to clairfy the earlier feature on HDTV. I was surprised that a supposed "expert" muddied things up instead of making them clear (which was the purpose of the piece).

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Clearly, to be the editor of a magazine, you need know nothing techincal about the content of said mag. They lobbed her a perfect softball question about whether all plasmas were HD and she totally blew it by saying essentially, yes. We all know most plasmas are not HD resolution, only the more expensive high end ones are. As mentioned above, she also made no differentiation between HDTV and general DTV. What a joke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.