AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search the other night and found hours of material about the NRS but nothing about a "universal" NRS. I have never heard of one before until I saw one on e-bay. Is this some special dealer demo unit? I thought all NRS's were fixed resolution scalers. Thanks,

Chip

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Don't believe everything you see on EBay, in fact don't believe much of it at all. :)

NRS are fixed output scalers. I have one, still a great performer after three years, until we get the Dragonfly and/or Gennum based scalers, beats the pants off of the competition in video deinterlacing and processing of SD video sources.

Now I'll have to go find this "universal" Faroudja on EBay. :)

On edit, this is a standard NRS and he isn't telling you what it is set at. Used to be Farouda would change output resolution on these for $450, don't know if they still will. His price is ludicrous. I think maximum programmable resolution on these is Plasma NR.

Dan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjelli
Check with faroudja, some of the NRS units can be made "universal", meaning you can change the rez. in the menu.

Still limited to the "standard" resolutions the NRS offers.

I had this done and it works perfect.

Kjell
The above quote is from this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=535997

When I was in the market for video processor couple months ago, I called Faroudja and a tech support staff got back to me and confirmed the $425 fee (+s/h) for the resolution change. When I asked him about making the NRS "universal", he confirmed that all NRS units being sent for a resolution change will have a firmware update, resolution change to the requested one and the standard resolutions on the NRS will be made user selectable from the menu. He said that this added capability is not advertised because if a non displayable resolution and refresh rate is selected then the user is in a jam.

He did not use the term "universal". Nor did him use any official term to describe this. In this case, I think the term "End user selectable" is less misleading.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The guy's price is still ridiculous. There are two advertised on Videogon, one for $990, one for $1199. No reason to pay more than this.

I should be selling mine soon. Three years old, bought from AVS, performed flawlessly, and lightly used (I use my HT less than 500 hours per year). It's a great processor and as far as I'm concerned, DCDi is still better than anything else out there right now for SD broadcast video. If I sell it, you can have it for $500 plus freight. We can ship it direct to Faroudja for the update and mod. PM me if you're interested.

Dan

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link to the thread. Very strange, I started that thread. I don't know how I missed the universal post.

Chip

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I expect prices to fall on these when Dragonfly becomes the new hot ticket on the block.

When everyone jumps off the good ship Faroudja, I'll play lobster and pick away at whats left behind.

Chip

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
Is it possible to have the Faroudja NRS modified to accept DVI or hdmi? Just wondering if it is even technically feasible in the aftermarket arena.

I have suddenly lost v sync on mine and might have to send it in at the $425 expense (ugh!). Has anyone else seen a similar problem?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel
I expect prices to fall on these when Dragonfly becomes the new hot ticket on the block.

When everyone jumps off the good ship Faroudja, I'll play lobster and pick away at whats left behind.

Chip
Faroudja products are expensive simply because they are Faroudja products. People pay for the name. The NRS, and F's other, older scalers, aren't really up with the game as far as features are concerned (not to say the PQ is bad, even by today's standards), but often fetch as much or more on the secondhand market than current generation units do. Go figure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.