AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so excited when I saw the thread where you could get HD DirecTV for $399 . Then I read the fine print on the deal :

Offer not available in the limited areas served by members or affiliates of the National Rural Telecommunications Cooperative.

Unfortunately, I live in one of the areas with a local provider. Do I have any recourse on this matter? Can I switch to DirectTV? Or am I stuck as a NRTC customer?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just in my local bestbuy. The only thing they had was the 3 room system for free. The Samsung was $599 there :(

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Innova
I was just in my local bestbuy. The only thing they had was the 3 room system for free. The Samsung was $599 there :(
Check the website ...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at the websites, and didn't see any great deals. If you found one, can you post or pm me the link please?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got off the phone with my local provider, and they said exactly what I expected. Because they don't have the volume, they can't buy the receivers cheap enough, so they can't offer me the deal.

This sucks, does anyone know any more about NRTC? Am I stuck with them? This is what the website says:

NRTC members invested more than $100 million toward launching the nation's first and most successful high-power direct broadcast satellite (DBS) system, thereby acquiring exclusive sales rights to 8 percent of DIRECTV households.

So according to this, I can't switch provders at all. I guess the thing that sucks is because they made an "exclusive agreement" I'm stuck paying high prices for HD. Shouldn't I be able to switch providers?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
The NRTC is an evil that needs to die a quick--albeit painfull--death...they have a legal stranglehold on their inmates, I mean customers. Backwater bureaucracy at its finest!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so how do we go about killing them?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
How about going DishNetwork instead?

Seems like their HD stuff is just as good.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking about going with Dish. The initial cost is more, but monthly is cheaper. The problem is that I went in to Radio Shack, and the guy swore that Dish doesn't have a HD Reciever yet. So then I called Dish directly and they said that they don't sell the HD recievers over the phone, I'd have to go to a retailer. The local Sears had the 6000 for $700.......

·
Registered
621 Posts
I too am under the NRTC. Albit Pegasus. Pegasus happens to be the Largest in the country, so they fortunately can offer some hardware services.

Having said that, you do have other alternatives. There are some, even if they are difficult to find, retailers on the internet that do sell to anyone. Including NRTC. You may not get the $399 deal, but you can still find some decent deals. There are also NEW equipment dealers who sell on Ebay. New equipment with manufacturers warranty and all.

I just bought a Zenith HD SAT520 from Circuit City for $449. Great unit. You can get the receiver from them. Even if they don't have one in stock, if they have one on their web site, just have the local circuit city order one for you. The Zeniths are out of stock, but our local one was selling the Hughes E86 for $399. Don't think there are any left. Hope this helps... Later... Mike...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well DVI is important to me, so Hughes is out of the question. I think I've made up my mind to go with Dish network. Then I won't be trapped in NRTC anymore. It sounds like they are going to have a receiver, dish, installation deal for about $400 in the next month or two when the new receivers come out. I can wait that long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.