AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to ask this kind of question but i'm kind of stuck, on this decison.i have read other threds and FAQs, I narroed my choices down to these three sony dvp-ns715, toshiba sd-4800 and pan RP-82. i have kv-32hs500 none of the stores in my area carries either of these players and the closest big city is a long drive. So i can't really compare the players picture in person. Anyway i'm hoping that some of you can give me adivice or some kind of input. picture quality is most important to me, i want what will looks best on my tv. I want a PERFECT picture or as close as posible with my tv. watch mostly film based movies like blackhawk down, magnolia, band of brothers, war and drama. Picture is all i care about.

thanks for your help it would be of great value to me:D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The Sony and Toshiba will have the chroma bug, but you probably won't notice it on a 32". Its certainly not reason enough to eliminate otherwise fine players from your selection process.

It seems like many people have described the panasonic RP56/62/82 picture as a bit soft. Although I've only personally seen the 56 is action, I would tend to agree with that assessment. Testing of these units reveals that their video freq. response is over 2 db down at 6 MHz and above. Its a bit of a shame considering their excellent deinterlacing abilities. OTOH, some people prefer a softer image. I do not, so I would lean towards Toshiba and JVC players. I'm not entirely sure what to make of the new Sony players. I haven't been terribly impressed with them in the past, but apparently the NS700P and the players in its lineage are quite good. They simply don't measure up to the JVC and Toshiba models as far as features, though, especially if you make use of zoom/scaling. On a 4:3 set, I usually zoom in a bit on 2.35:1 material.

So, I would probably add the JVC XV-SA600 to your list and consider eliminating the Panasonic if you aren't sold on a softer picture. The JVC players don't have the best deinterlacing performance, since they rely entirely on flags and don't do motion-adaptive deinterlacing for video based material (word is this may have changed with the latest models, the 600 included, thanks to a new incarnation of the Mediamatics Pantera chip). This means you may have to manually set the deinterlacing mode for improperly flagged material. They are also chroma bug free.

My own personally recommendation would tend toward the Toshiba SD-4800. It seems to combine good deinterlacing with a sharp picture and plenty of features. If you don't anticipate needing DVD-A cabability, you can even save a few bucks and go with the 3800, which is otherwise identical to the 4800. I've owned Toshiba players and found them to be quite reliable. They do have the chroma bug, but its very minor in the latest players and, in any case, it should be nearly imperceptible on a 32" screen.

You might want to check out this recent review from Sound & Vision, which compares DVD players from JVC, Sony, and Panasonic:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/Equ...?ArticleID=176

For reference, the Panasonic XP50 appears to be nothing more than an RP82 in a different box, and the Sony NS755P adds SACD capability to the NS715P.

I would also recommend doing a search of this forum for more specific questions you have about certain players. You might also want to check out the Home Theater Spot forum:

http://www.***************.com/htsth...reads.php?Cat=

While in general I would say the average technical expertise there is a bit lower in comparison to AVS members, I have found a number of useful posts on DVD players searching around there. Some of the most interesting come from average Joe's who just bought a couple players to compare and then post their observations. While that's clearly not the most objective/scientific comparison, I'd say its the "out-of-the-box" experience that matters most to most people. Precise testing has its place, but since few people even take the time to calibrate their setups, who can say if the lab performance will be replicated at home?

Anyway, good luck with your decision! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks noah, now i'm leaning towards the 4800, but first i'll give the sa600 a look, tomorrow I'm going to talk a isf calibrator that works in my area, funny i can't find decent dvd player in my area but i can find a certified calibrator, if if calibration is to expensive then i buy the avia dvd, for sure.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blindi
funny i can't find decent dvd player in my area but i can find a certified calibrator
Heh... :D

While you're at it, you might as well ask the guy what he'd recommend for DVD players.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I am quite happy with my tosh SD-4800, scales and you can make the zoom icon disapear with no trouble. The wight is 11 pounds and has cute text a remote that beeps when you do something with it.

It zooms in both interlaced and progressive scan format and the icon disapeers. I own a mod JVC XVS500BK for regions 1-6 but the zoom icon will not disapear, I can do x, y, scaling to a PAL disc without the stretch. I have given you two reviews if you have any 2.35:1 letterboxes only the Tosh will zoom it up a tad and then disapeer by hitting your remotes down arrow and center button. :)

Good luck on your decision

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.