AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I use my HTPC to playback my NTSC DVD's through my CRT Projector.

How can I be certain that neither my decoder, my software, nor my video output hardware are at any stage using 3:2 Pulldown to convert a 24fps source into NTSC-standard 30fps/60hz? I ask because I would prefer to run my CRT PJ at 48hz and 50hz (for PAL) rather than 60hz and 75hz.

If there is no real way to force every step in the chain to preserve 24fps timing, then at least how can I determine whether I am in fact outputting in the final instance at either 24 or 30 frames per second?

Thanks kindly.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
NTSC standard DVDs are 480i/60 (576i/50 for Pal). If made with 24fps progressive film based content then 3:2 Pulldown has already been used to create the NTSC 480i DVD standard.

You would need a decoder that can provide Inverse Telecine logic to get back the origional 1080p/24 content. Regretfully I do not have any links to any.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
All decoders will do IVTC for NTSC dvd. Ffdshow will do.

1080i TS files are trickier, but Bluray fixed this issue for good.

You just asked on Curt's forum didn't you?

·
Registered
401 Posts
if you have an Nvidia video card you should be able to select inverse telecine in the settings menu under...

-video & television

+Adjust video color settings

--Enhancements Tab

Check Box => Inverse telecine.

Oh yea.. then you would need to set your Refresh to 23.976hz Witch you may or may not have to do manually by making a custom refresh.

I have found that sometimes when the drivers say 24Hz they mean exactly 24Hz, which will cause tearing on 23.976 material. I have to create a custom resolution at 23 hz and manual set timings for 23.976.

Also if you ever use the computer for anything else you would want to make sure that you went back to your highest refresh when playing a game. I have reclock setup to do all that for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts