AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's easier for stateside folks with NTSC as far as programming goes, but which format is the better? NTSC or PAL?

And why did Australia get screwed on this?

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Eh? Why did we get screwed on what?

PAL rocks.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
PAL !

Nicholas

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
PAL is better for resolution (576 vs 480) and color (because of the phase alternation)

NTSC (Never The Same Color) is better for brightness stability as it has a black reference shoulder folowing the sync pulse

NTSC is worse because of the 3:2 pulldown and PAL suffers a little more flickering due to less refresh rate.

If I should vote I would choose PAL but add the black reference shoulder to the signal...

Roland

·
Registered
50 Posts
PAL is way better (for reasons listed).

You could say Australia probably got it because of its British origins (remember the Brits invented TV {J Logie Baird}, even if the Germans did much of the improvements and got it to a more commercial level).

But the main reason for the 50Hz would be that Australia has 50Hz power, like the UK, as opposed to the 60Hz supply in the US. In the early days, the slackest way to build things was to tie it to the very stable power supply frequency. (And with a given bandwidth, if you have a fixed vertical refresh (of 50Hz), you get to run more lines each cycle --- at a ratio of 60:50, ie 576:480).

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
And while we are at it. Why do you Americans drive on the wrong side of the road ????

:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
We don´t drive on the wrong side.......

We drive on the right ! :p

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bison(swe)
We don´t drive on the wrong side.......

We drive on the right ! :p
LOL, that was funny!!

Good joke, GOOOD joke!! If i EVER get asked that question .. EVER, although, the scenario will likely never come up, i will use that answer. Thankyou sir..

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I remember seeing TV in Europe when I was 12, and was amazed at the clarity that the extra 100 scanning lines brought.

Why are all native Australians descendants of prisoners?

;)

Curt

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
From a non-scientific standpoint. I would say PAL, half of my video collection is PAL (I love British comedy and have tons of region 2 and some region 4 discs). On my Barco 576p looks noticably better than 480p. Note, prior to the Momitsu I used to use the native resolution/refresh rate that was native to the source. Though the lower refresh rate in PAL was always noticable to me in direct view CRT sets, it never has bothered me on my front projection setup.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
They arnt,

The only Native Australians here are black and run around in togas in the bush.

Us whiteys are imports !! :)

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
50Hz PAL signals drive me insane. I can't stand to watch TV in Europe. The flickering is painful.

I understand PAL is better for noise, though, because the noise spikes that show up as white "snow" on NTSC show up as less-noticeable black static on PAL, or something like that?

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I don't remember the flickering, but remember being amused with the bare breasts I saw during prime time when I was 13 or 14.

I'd assume they'd still hold my interest at 40..;)

Curt

·
Registered
84 Posts
For resolution alone pal is the winner. Looking at my collection the sharpest looking transfers with the highest amount of _natural_ detail are with no exception all pal 16:9 titles. Like r2uk HIDEOUS KINKY, r2se EN KARLEKSHISTORIA these really rival 720p hd in how crisp they look.

But sadly quality transfers like these are few and far between. The real treasures from a pq pov are ntsc. Not r1 ntsc, but r2 japan. My top 10 of best looking dvd's would probably contain 7 or 8 japanese films on r2j.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As far as flickering goes, there are 100Hz models now :p

·
Registered
594 Posts
95% of my DVD's are NTSC because the transfers on the Nordic PAL disk's is just crap, they have 5-10 different languages and 18 difrent subtitles and that really steals the picture quality.

If you have seen the difference between the Nordic PAL version and NTSC version of Star Wars Attack of the Clones you would never buy a pal disk again :(

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
There are people here who only buy R1 DVD's because of the reasons Bjorn outlined.

I havent seen that much difference in practice. I do however think that most DVD masters are actually derived from NTSC ones which sort of defeats the purpose of having PAL disks.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
It used to be the case that the PAL transfers were crap, but not anymore (AOTC excepted, they were going for the vaseline on the lens look...).

I'll take PAL anyday. Flicker is not a problem - you run your PJ at 75hz. And you don't need 2 refresh rates (60hz and 72hz) like NTSC.

The 4% speedup hasn't got a mention yet - if a PAL disc isn't pitch corrected then everything is 4% higher in pitch (and the movies are shorter).

I'm not certain how many films are actually pitch corrected for PAL. THis is PAL weakness IMO.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_A_W

I'm not certain how many films are actually pitch corrected for PAL. THis is PAL weakness IMO.
This isn't a problem with the PAL spec - it's a mastering problem not related to PAL directly.

Andy.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.