AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any visible difference between a NTSC DVD and a PAL DVD when running powerstrip at 960 x 1480 on a multiscan projector?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Regardless of powerstrip, PAL has more lines of resolution and thusly, on well mastered DVD's, more detail. I've personally seen several PAL DVD's and to be honest, the difference is VERY easy to see. If I could find a good source for R2 DVD for a reasonable cost, I'd probably buy all my well mastered reference DVD's in PAL format.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
4% speed up and pitch change? This is a new one! I'll have to dig in and read more about that one. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Aaron, I've seen some of the prices you pay in the states and they're pretty steep. Have a look at the Australian market for R4 dvds, (all PAL) which does have some cheap stuff like:

www.atlanticdvd.com.au

www.ezydvd.com.au

I don't know about the sound but I don't find it suffers compared to sound from NTSC IMHO. BTW how is the sound sped up? If it is does this mean that PAL films finish 4% faster than NTSC? because the sound doesn't run 4% faster than the picture!

Cheers Josh

·
Registered
57 Posts
It depends on your source, I am using a pc and cannot see a difference.

If you are using a doubler you may be able to pick the difference on some discs.

A badly mastered film will look crap in both formats.

Beejay

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
PAL is way better. No argument there. All people in here does EVERYTHING

to get better image, right? well, 20% extra resolution is a lot. I'm only

buying PAL from now on.

Nicholas

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Oz
4% speed up and pitch change? This is a new one! I'll have to dig in and read more about that one. Thanks for the info.
This is because a lazy mastering house will "just" speed up the 24fps film master to 25fps for PAL, sound and all. However I would assume a competent one would use time-shift processing to properly adjust the sound.

IMO this NTSC v PAL is a difficult one to call - yes PAL has a resolution increase (575 v 480), but also a lower refresh - 50Hz v 60Hz which could lead to a less stable picture (Ok, ignoring PAL-60!). But in reality, NTSC DVDs in general seem to be better mastered, and there's are some truely bad transfer that R2 PAL'ers have to put up with.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I went from 60hz to 50hz and liked it. I don't see my lightbulbs flicker

either...

Nicholas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.