AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I build a storage server running unRAID server OS, will an NTV550 or Dune HD recognize and work well? I'm starting from scratch and do not have a server or media device right now. Or should I ask, what storage solution for holding my video and movies will work best with an NTV550 or Dune HD?

·
Registered
11,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 /forum/post/19539375

If I build a storage server running unRAID server OS, will an NTV550 or Dune HD recognize and work well? I'm starting from scratch and do not have a server or media device right now. Or should I ask, what storage solution for holding my video and movies will work best with an NTV550 or Dune HD?

There is no "best"...but unRAID works fine with Dune, and should work fine with NeoTV, or any streamer for that matter.

I know unRAID is foreign to most...and these kinds of questions pop up all the time from newbies (in fact, I just answered the Dune with unRAID thing in the Dune thread a few days ago); but understand...unRAID has to do with back-up. The way it shares information is a standard Samba (SMB) share (although you can use NFS), which should be recognized easily, by just about any device. I've had approximately 10 different streamers, and none of them had any trouble seeing my unRAID SMB shares...except the Viewsonic VMP-75 (which was a total, f*ing mystery).

CD

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner
There is no "best"...but unRAID works fine with Dune, and should work fine with NeoTV, or any streamer for that matter.

I know unRAID is foreign to most...and these kinds of questions pop up all the time from newbies (in fact, I just answered the Dune with unRAID thing in the Dune thread a few days ago); but understand...unRAID has to do with back-up. The way it shares information is a standard Samba (SMB) share (although you can use NFS), which should be recognized easily, by just about any device. I've had approximately 10 different streamers, and none of them had any trouble seeing my unRAID SMB shares...except the Viewsonic VMP-75 (which was a total, f*ing mystery).

CD
Thank you so much for your information as I know it probably gets old answering new people. Since I'm starting from scratch for archiving my BluRay, HD-DVD, DVD, and 1080P 60fps HD Home movie collection, I need to now decide on what is the best most stable formats to use. For BluRay I'm wondering if ISO is the best route. I do want to keep the menus. I have AnyDVD HD, plus many other programs for archiving but want to make sure the media player and server have no problems.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hi,

just thought i would give you my feedback =, I have a Dune prime 3.0 and stream media using NFS from my Qnap 509 drive and it does this perfectly without any stutter or crashes.

I also have a number of video test files i.e BBC Planet Earth 55Mbps and does this perfect it also plays back all my converted blurays in ISO/M2TS/TS format perfect.

currently im testing the new beta test firmware and seems to be working fine and has solved the Audio drop/delay issue.

hope the above helps.

PS: i have tried the Mede8er, Xtreamer, Tvix 6500 with mine and all stuttered - i heared you get better results with unraid.

a5ian300zx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts