AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find out as many differences as I can between the two for a final decision.

It's my understanding that the Cary probably has superior sound quality at the point of dimenishing returns.

The Nuforce has 2 channel analog bypass; the Cary has multichannel not just two.

The Cary can't apply IIx to DTS; the Nuforce can?

I belive the Nuforce can apply the subwoofer to multi and 2 channel can the Cary?

What are other differences? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want less features that will inhibit sound quality and implements analog by pass like a true pre.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neither of the afore mentioned pre/pros has hdmi. No, I don't want it. You can't get lossless audio through analog? Even so, I am not going the audio route through HDMI.

Do you have experience with these pieces?

·
Registered
140 Posts
You may want to check out the Nuforce circle over on AudioCircle's forums. I have the AVP-16, but have not heard the Cary which I suspect would be a good step up. I still use the AVP-16 for HT for which it is very good. The rear left channel died on it last year though. I prefer my Paradisea+ DAC for stereo music listening.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynopr /forum/post/15558848

That's right it would be used as a pre while the player would be doing the decoding. Are you getting at the fact that using the analog the pre/pro would not be applying any processing? I still thought that it could apply PLIIx...

Why not?

Because I am a huge fan of this thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=mini+review

Odds are you saw my recent response near the end of that thread?

I gave up on HDMI, and don't regret that decision one bit. But it did mean that I had to buy a Zektor MAS7 switcher for my 3 disc players.

If I were doing it again right now, I wouldn't buy a Cary Cinema 8, but rather I'd get a factory refurb of the Parasound Halo P7, from www.audioadvisor.com

For one thing the P7 is a pretty decent unit. For another it offers some base management. If my memory serves, last P7 refurb AA had was shown at $1,500 (vs. the normal new of $2k), which I think also comes with the full Parasound warranty.

If there's no refurb at the moment, call AA up on their 800 number and ask them to call you when another one comes in. At times AA seems to play hard ball. All you need to do is walk out the door when they do that. Trust me, AA *wants* your business.

Since the P7 has two RCA 7.1 inputs, you might not need an external switcher. You will however, need a lot of RCA cables of various lengths. For what I did, see: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1067714&page=5

With regard to either the Nuforce or Cinema 6 of this thread title, I personally would not go that way.

Cheers

·
Banned
2,570 Posts

Quote:
Are you getting at the fact that using the analog the pre/pro would not be applying any processing? I still thought that it could apply PLIIx...

You could but you would then have to run the signal through a ADC apply the processing and then back through the DAC's.

Quote:
I gave up on HDMI, and don't regret that decision one bit.

I don't see any problems with HDMI.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I assumed the audio quality was a step up on the Cary over the NuForce as stated in Zissou's "Mini Review" thread, but that is the Cinema 6 not 8.

There are only a couple of differences between the Nuforce 16 and 17. The 3 that I know of are the integration between the Nuforce and the Oppo HDMI switcher, application of the .1 to stereo and multi channel, and the "improved dac."

Habnab, does the nuforce 16 allow application of PLIIx to DTS? I'm pretty sure not, but just out of curiosity does the MAS7.1 have bass management? Why do you regret the Cinema 8?

Doug, I am of the camp that less is more in the pre/pro. It is my understanding that the pre/pro's that are going to come closest to approaching the sound of a quality 2 channel pre are ones that have omitted HDMI.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynopr /forum/post/15568606

I assumed the audio quality was a step up on the Cary over the NuForce as stated in Zissou's "Mini Review" thread, but that is the Cinema 6 not 8.

SQ of the Cinema 6 and Cinema 8 are equal. Units were done in tandem, with the 8 coming out 1st by a few months, at least as far as I know.

Quote:
There are only a couple of differences between the Nuforce 16 and 17. The 3 that I know of are the integration between the Nuforce and the Oppo HDMI switcher, application of the .1 to stereo and multi channel, and the "improved dac."

Habnab, does the nuforce 16 allow application of PLIIx to DTS? I'm pretty sure not,

I have no clue. I use my Cinema 8 for it's analog input (both 7.1 RCA, and 2.0 XLR)

Quote:
but just out of curiosity does the MAS7.1 have bass management?

The Zektor MAS7 is a 3-to-1 switcher for both 7.1 RCA and HDMI 1.3.

Quote:
Why do you regret the Cinema 8?

I don't regret my Cinema 8 at all. But *if* I had it to do over right now, I'd get a Parasound Halo P7.

Quote:
Doug, I am of the camp that less is more in the pre/pro. It is my understanding that the pre/pro's that are going to come closest to approaching the sound of a quality 2 channel pre are ones that have omitted HDMI.

Talking to Doug about any audio thing is questionable and I don't do it. Talking to Doug about SQ is beyond moronic.

Cheers

·
Banned
2,570 Posts

Quote:

So you see no big deal in lossless audio, room correction, or other post processing applications? Do you think that HDMI somehow affects the audio in a negative way?

Quote:
Talking to Doug about any audio thing is questionable and I don't do it. Talking to Doug about SQ is beyond moronic.

Sound quality is subjective and I ask you to explain your position but you have yet to do so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts