AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Number of Phone Wires for Modem

891 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Mikeyboy
Having a problem with a Showstopper. Does the modem require all 4 lines to be connected, or only 2 wires?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
should be fine with just the 2, why? what is it not doing?
Will dial up for the list of numbers OK, but when it gets to the full channel guide it will not connect. Hooked it up to another phone line (at my house, versus theirs) and it seems to connect fine. Wierd.....if the modem was bad I assume it would either work, or not work right. Not intermittent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsdw /forum/post/0

Will dial up for the list of numbers OK, but when it gets to the full channel guide it will not connect. Hooked it up to another phone line (at my house, versus theirs) and it seems to connect fine. Wierd.....if the modem was bad I assume it would either work, or not work right. Not intermittent!

Lowering the unit modem speed to 33.6 or lower should help it connect over noisy phone lines. Here's how http://www.exreplaytv.com/modem/index.html
Maybe that is what I need to do. But here is the strange thing (Mikeboy you taught me this trick), it will connect with the 800 number in the prefix with no problem. It will not connect to the local number. I would think that if that home has a noisy phone line, it would not work with either number - but maybe the 800 number is cleaner. I use the local number on my 2 units (my house - different home) and they are working fine. I am just trying to help these friends out. Very strange?

Any ideas, still do the modem speed change?
Any chance that you in an area that requires 10 digit local dialing and have the ReplayTV set to dial 7 digits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsdw /forum/post/0

Maybe that is what I need to do. But here is the strange thing (Mikeboy you taught me this trick), it will connect with the 800 number in the prefix with no problem. It will not connect to the local number. I would think that if that home has a noisy phone line, it would not work with either number - but maybe the 800 number is cleaner. I use the local number on my 2 units (my house - different home) and they are working fine. I am just trying to help these friends out. Very strange?

Any ideas, still do the modem speed change?

I would lower the modem speed irregardless. You can always try different local numbers. If need be, leave the 1800 number in the prefix screen if that solves the problem.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.