AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install the Nuvo NV-MI1 but are not having much luck getting the doorbell mute to work. I have been able to incorporate the telephone such that when the phone rings, the music mutes while ringing. However, I am having issues with getting the doorbell to do the same thing. I have run a wire from the doorbell chime to the mute interface as per the instructions. However, this causes the GC to mute all the time ... any ideas? I have the GC set up for "System Mute Trigger".

Any thoughts on what is wrong ... does it only work with a certain type of doorbell?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Did you check for voltage on the doorbell line? I'm guessing you grabbed the DC supply / common and not the button signal...

Jeff

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
There is a Nuvo white paper documenting the use of the Mute Interface.

You need another device, from Viking Electronics, or another company. At least that's the way it's described in the white paper.

Integrating the door bell is on my list of things to do, haven't really looked into it yet.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/18179601

There is a Nuvo white paper documenting the use of the Mute Interface.

You need another device, from Viking Electronics, or another company. At least that's the way it's described in the white paper.

Integrating the door bell is on my list of things to do, haven't really looked into it yet.

Neuro - the Viking part is for integrating paging - an "advanced topic" for the doorbell mute... For basic "mute while doorbell chime is ringing", he shouldn't need anything else.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,101 Posts

Thanks, Jeff. Schooled again. I need to look at this sooner than later - ancient M&S intercom system is currently providing the doorbell chime, and it's getting axed with the kitchen remodel.

Now I know who to ask when I'm stuck.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/18185347

Now I know who to ask when I'm stuck.

Dr. Kilowatt, of course!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, tried everything and can't get it to work. Can anyone help?

This pictures shows my doorbell ... red circle shows the white wires from the transformer + front doorbell + red wire to the Doorbell Mute Interface, blue circle is the black wire from the transformer and white circle is the black wire from the doorbell.

Where do I connect the black wire (green circle) from the Doorbell Mute Interface? No matter what I try, once I connect the black wire, the Nuvo mutes regardless of whether the doorbell is pressed.

Thanks

EDIT - BTW, I am using a lighted doorbell which may be part of the problem (according to some google posts)

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
You could

1. Ask the distributor where you bought your GC, the first person to call.

and then

2. Call Nuvo Tech Support.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Reading some things about lighted doorbell buttons, there may always be a bit of current flowing. Use a multimeter to verify that - I assume that the NuVo part will interrupt on a fairly wide range of voltages. A google search for "lighted doorbell wiring" brought up some suggestions for dealing with this. But yes, dealer, then NuVo Tech. would be the easiest route...

Jeff

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Attacking the doorbell integration.

OP, was it the lighted doorbell that was the problem? What was the fix, if any?

·
Registered
108 Posts
If there is a small current always across the line you could try wiring a small resistor that is greater than the measured current between the doorbell wiring and the nvmi1. I have yet to add one to my system so I'd be interested in knowing what works for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts