AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an interesting situation I'm trying to solve. I'm looking to install a NuVo Grand Concerto NV-I8GM system using wall mounted control pads.

As things are now, I've got my home-run control wiring in one room, and my home-run speaker wiring in an AV closet in another room, and only 1 spare Cat6 between the two locations. This happened because I'm re-purposing some leftover Cat6 wiring that just happened to be in the right wall locations to use as NuVoNet for the wall controls. In my mind, the EZ port is best suited to be in the room where the 14 control wires for the wall controls are located. However, the Grand Concerto is best located in the other room with all the speaker wiring to the 14 Zones. This creates a bit of an issue with NuVoNet, because the single NuVo EZ Port does not appear to be splittable or cascadable.

Before I bite the bullet and run several new "Device" NuVoNet cables between the two rooms, I thought I'd ask if anyone has ever come up with an ingenious solution which solves this issue of distributed NuvoNet EZ Ports.

My first thought is that if I wire the Devices and Grand Concerto using the first EZ Port, and use the Cat6 to wire a single output from the first EZ Port to the "NV-I8GM" input of the second EZ Port with all the control hookups, it might actually cascade, and work perfectly.

Has anyone tried something similar to this?

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
My rec would just be run another cable.

But, you may be able to get away with 1 cable. I think the Nuvonet network is RS485, requiring only 2 conductors. Since each Nuvonet cable provides an RS485 signal path in each direction, each cable probably only uses 4 conductors. Ah, but of course power is needed to the keypads. Damn. Scratch that.

Cascading should work, though. The source cables, I think, are the same as keypad cables, in terms of the signals conducted, for RS485; it's all the same RS485 network.

I would call Nuvo TS, but first do a little research on RS485 busses. I'm sure Nuvo TS has seen this question before. But, I'm not sure Nuvo TS is the same as it used to be, since the Legrand acquisition.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts