AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to get a Nuvo Grand Concerto system for my house. I have read about people getting this system, and forgoing the keypads for remotes. The more I think about this, the more interesting the idea sounds. Controlling something like music by adjusting a keypad does sound like a bit of a pain.

What are your thoughts on this?

Also how difficult is a system like this to control with a remote, and which remotes can display metadata?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am running a Nuvo GC with a pronto remote. It took a bit of time and a learning curve to get it working how I wanted it but I wouldn't go any other way. If you aren't technically savvy probably worth it to pay someone to program the remote. I am using a Phillips Pronto remote which works well but I am sure others will recommend URC or RTI which not DIY friendly or Nevo which is. Also going remote route you can skip the expensive server and get Sonos or Squeezebox as music source if you want to save a few thousand.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Nuvo sells 'Wireless Controllers', that are basically mobile keypads. They have metadata.

I don't know which 3rd party remotes could provide metadata.

The Nuvo GC system ships with 6 keypads. The keypads have IR receivers, so you can use standard remote controls to control the system. The base GC system comes with 1 cheapo remote, haven't looked at it yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neuro that is a great looking remote. Kinda pricey at around $500 a copy though.

McSmarty which Pronto are you using?

I am warming to the idea of using the GC keypads and adding cheaper IR remotes. Is there a Nuvo iPhone app? I looked and couldn't find one.

The Nuvo T2 tuner is nice, but not cheap. Anyone use an Apple TV as a music server for the GC?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
To get metadata at the GC keypads, you need to use Nuvo source equipment, AFAIK.

If you buy the MPS4 Music Port Server, you can forego a conventional tuner, as almost all FM stations stream on the internet. Will also let you use your own PCs as sources for digital music - networked server, copies music from your network onto it's hard drive. Also will do Sirius, XM, and I think Rhapsody and/or Pandora (I think one or the other). It's priced at the cost of 2 components, provides 4 streams.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have TSU9400 and TSU9600. I have one for downstairs, one for bedroom and one for gameroom. The cost of 3 remotes with a grand concerto amp only and several squeezebox sources is cheaper than full grand concerto with music server, no ugly keypads in wall, and your remote can control anything in house (lighting, AV ect.) from your couch.

I use http://www.prontosqueeze.com/prontosqueeze.asp to control squeezebox. You get metadata and album artwork on your remote. You can do same thing with RTI or URC but they have to be professionally programmed. Also you can use Sonos instead of Squeezebox. Many different combos of remotes/GC/sources but for me is huge step forward at a lower cost point. New Nuvo remote looks nice but sucks to waste that kind of money (700ish?) for something that doesn't have half the capabilities as a universal remote. Just one person's 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I'm definitely not a NuVo pro, but I did just install a Grand Concerto system where we only used the wireless control pads (3 of them). I have mixed reviews. Let me preface that actually by saying that the house we installed the system in was added on to several times, and there are block walls everywhere. When the control pads had a good signal, they worked great. Seemingly everything you would normally see on a wired keypad. However, properly positioning the "coordinator" and the "repeaters" was/is a lengthy process, and I'm still not happy with the coverage.

We chose this solution because, due to construction, running cat 5e anywhere would mean tearing apart drywall. With each wireless control pad comes an "access point" of sorts, which can be set as the "coordinator" or a "repeater". We hard-wired the controller to have it more centrally located in the house, and placed a repeater on each side of it (within 50'), if you were looking at a top-down floor plan. You are able to roam zone-to-zone with the keypad, and it's supposed to be a seamless transition from controller to repeater, but again, I would frequently loose signal.

As I said, I think alot of it may be the environment. But, even at it's best, per the instruction manual, if you have the coordinator located in the middle, with a repeater on either side, I believe the communication rate is ~75%; if you go coordinator->repeater->repeater, I believe it's 49%.

Bottom line, I think it's a good solution for a single zone/room you can't get a cable to, but I personally wouldn't recommend it as the only means of control.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Pronto is wifi so I haven't had a problem with connectivity. I needed one access point downstairs and a router upstairs for a 5,500 sq ft house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 /forum/post/18286898

I'm definitely not a NuVo pro, but I did just install a Grand Concerto system where we only used the wireless control pads (3 of them). I have mixed reviews. Let me preface that actually by saying that the house we installed the system in was added on to several times, and there are block walls everywhere. When the control pads had a good signal, they worked great. Seemingly everything you would normally see on a wired keypad. However, properly positioning the "coordinator" and the "repeaters" was/is a lengthy process, and I'm still not happy with the coverage.

We chose this solution because, due to construction, running cat 5e anywhere would mean tearing apart drywall. With each wireless control pad comes an "access point" of sorts, which can be set as the "coordinator" or a "repeater". We hard-wired the controller to have it more centrally located in the house, and placed a repeater on each side of it (within 50'), if you were looking at a top-down floor plan. You are able to roam zone-to-zone with the keypad, and it's supposed to be a seamless transition from controller to repeater, but again, I would frequently loose signal.

As I said, I think alot of it may be the environment. But, even at it's best, per the instruction manual, if you have the coordinator located in the middle, with a repeater on either side, I believe the communication rate is ~75%; if you go coordinator->repeater->repeater, I believe it's 49%.

Bottom line, I think it's a good solution for a single zone/room you can't get a cable to, but I personally wouldn't recommend it as the only means of control.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmarty /forum/post/18289001

Pronto is wifi so I haven't had a problem with connectivity. I needed one access point downstairs and a router upstairs for a 5,500 sq ft house.

That would be nice if NuVo would make that an option, obviously much better coverage than RF.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philler /forum/post/18274358

I am about to get a Nuvo Grand Concerto system for my house. I have read about people getting this system, and forgoing the keypads for remotes. The more I think about this, the more interesting the idea sounds. Controlling something like music by adjusting a keypad does sound like a bit of a pain.

What are your thoughts on this?

Also how difficult is a system like this to control with a remote, and which remotes can display metadata?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

The Nuvo Wireless remote is a great solution. Yes it takes some time to get the distances for control right but once set you are done. I think this is one of the best things they have added to this suite in a few years. It's great for outdoor use.

A little side note about the Music Port Server. ALL music must be saved to the HDD on the music port server. No streaming allowed. If you want to stream you get the original Music Port which needs a PC on at all times to stream. No Mac either. Music port Server gives you 4 sources. Pandora is also pretty cool. you don't need the new keypads to get all the uses either of Pandora and FM radio. With Pandora you set your playlists and select them from the keypads. If you are listeing to something on the music port server ou can also send it to set a new favorite ofr that artist in your playlist. I think that one is pretty cool. All this can be done from the OLED keypads also like I said.

So another sidenote re: music if you go with a wireless keypad only. Airport express and iphone. you can control vol and sources from the keypad and then use remote to control itunes to the AE. I do this now when I don't have an iPod docked for some reason. i really like it. i have playlists of fav internet radio stations setup from itunes and surf those also.

hopefully. . .Nuvo will add USB storage to music port so you can stream from a USB HDD to music port so you are not limited to it's HDD.

hope this helps you out a little more.

jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim /forum/post/18318182

The Nuvo Wireless remote is a great solution. Yes it takes some time to get the distances for control right but once set you are done. I think this is one of the best things they have added to this suite in a few years. It's great for outdoor use.

A little side note about the Music Port Server. ALL music must be saved to the HDD on the music port server. No streaming allowed. If you want to stream you get the original Music Port which needs a PC on at all times to stream. No Mac either. Music port Server gives you 4 sources. Pandora is also pretty cool. you don't need the new keypads to get all the uses either of Pandora and FM radio. With Pandora you set your playlists and select them from the keypads. If you are listeing to something on the music port server ou can also send it to set a new favorite ofr that artist in your playlist. I think that one is pretty cool. All this can be done from the OLED keypads also like I said.

So another sidenote re: music if you go with a wireless keypad only. Airport express and iphone. you can control vol and sources from the keypad and then use remote to control itunes to the AE. I do this now when I don't have an iPod docked for some reason. i really like it. i have playlists of fav internet radio stations setup from itunes and surf those also.

hopefully. . .Nuvo will add USB storage to music port so you can stream from a USB HDD to music port so you are not limited to it's HDD.

hope this helps you out a little more.

jim

jim that is a big help thanks. I am pretty unclear on my options for sources with the GC. I would like to be able to play Sat radio, FM, music from my cable, and music from my iTunes/CD collection. I definitely don't like the idea of paying $1,500 or more for the music server, so I am still looking at alternative.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You might consider adding a sonos zone player as a source. That would give you sirius, pandora, internet radio, and the music from your itunes. Use a Touch as a controller and you have 2 way. Add an itach and the right app and you could also turn zones on and off and control the GC from the touch.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philler /forum/post/18320015

jim that is a big help thanks. I am pretty unclear on my options for sources with the GC. I would like to be able to play Sat radio, FM, music from my cable, and music from my iTunes/CD collection. I definitely don't like the idea of paying $1,500 or more for the music server, so I am still looking at alternative.

The cable thing is easy. Hook it up via RCA and stick an eye on it to send IR commands through a keypad. The keypads have IR emitters in them. I also set up a list of favorites in the GC config so from the keypads I can select them. Music channels and regular channels if I want the news and stuff in the AM. I also control channel up and down and the power of the box from the GC with diff buttons.

For AM/FM I have the dual channel AM/FW/Ser box. I really like it.

The iTunes thing would be like I explained above. I do have 2 iPod docks also. My rack for my whole home is in the mud room when you come in from the garage so you come in dock up and you have your iPod on the system. Lots of times I don't dock so I do the AE iPhone thing. My wife she has an old iPod on her dock that she uses.

jim

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Corr /forum/post/18320819

You might consider adding a sonos zone player as a source. That would give you sirius, pandora, internet radio, and the music from your itunes. Use a Touch as a controller and you have 2 way. Add an itach and the right app and you could also turn zones on and off and control the GC from the touch.

That's a good idea form the sonos. Real nice idea. I was just looking at their site. They have done alot with that system over the past few years. All I got to say is being able to access music off a NAS instead of having a host computer on is much better than what I'm doing now! Didn't know you can do that. And they have that FM internet radio, same as Nuvo uses and Pandora you can search right from the controller. Can't with the Nuvo. The only thing you don't have with the sonos is metadata on the nuvo keypads but it's also a 400 dollar solution where the Nuvo is 2500 retail. Great little toy! I might have to pick one up!

Confused. . . what is itach? and how would you control the GC? through the RS jack with programming I assume?

jimi

1 - 14 of 14 Posts